Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from 8 to 10 - ITL Files

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I want to migrate phones from CUCM 8 to 10.5. As you know the phones will not trust the new cluster.

I read about the migration steps and I want from you to correct me if I’m wrong and to share with me your experience if there is any risk.

The steps are:

1. Export the certificate from the new TFTP server.
  2. Export the certificate from the old TFTP servers
  3. Consolidate the certificates.
  4. Import the certificates to the old server.
  5. Restart the TVS service on the old server.

Now the new cluster is trusted for registered phone on old server. After updating the DHCP option 150, phones should be able to register to the new system.

Please let me, if the procedure is OK.

Shall I do this after working hours?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes your procedure is correct and everything should work. You can do this during work hours as long as your customer/users are aware that they will loose their phone services for a while..

So its better to do it out of hours

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

For migration of the IP phones with ITL you can follow the available procedures listed in the following doc

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/60716/migrating-ip-phones-between-clusters-cucm-8-and-itl-files

The Rollback Enterprise Parameter option should be the easiest one.

The options requiring restart of phones and services should be done after hours.

Manish

- Do rate helpful posts -

Thank you,

As per my understanding, No thing to do on the new Cluster. just force the phones to delete all ITL files to accept the new cluster.

All what I need to do is: login to the OLD CUCM>>System >> Enterprise Parameters:

Set the Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0 enterprise parameter to True

Restart the Cisco Trust Verification Service on all nodes in the cluster and TFTP services.

Change DHCP Option 150 to point to my new cluster.

Am I right?

Thanks,

That is correct if you use the Rollback enterprise parameter option as explained in the doc.

Manish

Hello,

Can I know if there is any risk from doing this step?

I want to do the migration and just need to make sure?

Hi,

The procedure is well tested and documented. Couple of things to note:

Phones supporting TVS will potentially lose access to secure URL services such as the Corporate Directory before they are migrated to the new cluster after the "Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0" parameter is set to True on the original cluster.  Once migrated to the new cluster, the phones will download their new ITLs and Secure URL operation should go back to normal.

The phones must have access to the old CUCM servers only as long as it takes them to download the new empty ITL files. Once the phone has an empty ITL file, the old servers can be decommissioned.

Manish

Thank you too much

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes your procedure is correct and everything should work. You can do this during work hours as long as your customer/users are aware that they will loose their phone services for a while..

So its better to do it out of hours

Please rate all useful posts

Thank you