cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from CUCM 8.6.2 (MCS) to 10.X (BE6000)

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

I will migrate a cluster of two MCS Servers running CUCM 8.6.2 to CUCM BE6000 10X.

I have some questions:

1 - What´s the better way to accomplish this? Using PCD or install version 8.6.2 at UCS and upgrade to 10X? Or i install the CUCM 10.x and uses BAT to configure the cluster?

2 - I will have issues about the ITL files of the IP Phones?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_U4214F9D_00_upgrade-guide-cucm-100_chapter_010.html

i saw this at the documentation:

"Cisco Business Edition 6000 and Cisco Business Edition 7000 servers are preinstalled with Cisco UC Virtualization Hypervisor. If you plan to use Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment with application VMs on these servers, you must substitute a higher virtualization software feature level."

How i substitue the virtualization software level? Its a license?

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***
8 Replies 8

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

PCD is definitely a simple way in order to perform this migration. However, you will need to have one of the below license:

Cisco UC Virtualization Foundation (appears as “Foundation Edition” in vSphere Client)

VMware vSphere Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, or Enterprise Plus Edition

Evaluation mode license

PCD will not wok with Cisco UC Virtualization Hypervisor that comes by default with BE7K. As far as ITL files is concerned, PCD will give you the option to change/configure them

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/pcdadmin/11_0_1/CUCM_BK_PB6D9005_00_pcd-administration-guide-110/CUCM_BK_PB6D9005_00_pcd-administration-guide-110_chapter_011.html

If you do not want to go for PCD, then follow the simple approach i.e, create the VMs on BE7K in an isolated environment. Take the DRS backup of your production servers, restore on BE7K and proceed that way.

Regards

Deepak

Ok Deepak,

I will see this link.

I understand that is live migration so both server need to be online, so using PCD ia need to chagnge the IP Address of the destination server.

I saw that PCD is not compatible with ESXI 5.1 and older?

Supported Version of VMware vSphere ESXi on Host having VM of Cisco Unified Communications Manager or Another Application

Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment Version Compatibility for VMware APIs

5.1 and older

No

Yes

No

Do you know what ESXI Version cames at the UCS Servers of BE6K?

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

Leonardo, first of all there is no need for both the servers to be online. In fact, this is not possible either as PCD will first copy the existing data of your current servers that you will define as Source Cluster. After this, PCD will install the 10.x version on your VMs that will be hosted on ESXi host running on BE7K/6K defined as the Destination Cluster. After this only PCD will continue with shutting down the current server running on MCS and will proceed to power on the new VM running 10.x. All this is classified as Simple Migration task, you can also do Network Migration wherein the IP details can be changed if there is a need to. So at no point, both the servers will be online at a given point of time in case of Simple Migration.

Even in case of Network Migration, there will be a forced pause once the 10.x had been installed so that you can point the phones to correct/new TFTP address etc and once done then PCD will proceed with shutting down old cluster. Go through the PCD Admin guide thoroughly, it covers everything in detail.

BE6K most definitely comes with v5.5 for ESXi

Regards

Deepak

The upgrade using PCD i need the bootable ISO of CUCM 10.X, if do not use PCD can i use the upgrade CUCM files that are available for donwload at cisco.com?

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

First of all you do not need a bootable image just for an upgrade no matter if you are doing it from PCD or through the normal procedure. However since you are doing migration + upgrade hence you will need to build new VMs and will need bootable image even if you do it through PCD or in normal way. 

If you will do it through PCD, you will need the bootable image of CM 10.x. In case, you do it the normal way then you will need the bootable image of 8.6.2 to build it on BE7K and perform the DRS restore using the backup that you took in production and then upgrade to 10.x.

Note: You will not be able to download bootable ISO on CCO. For this, you will need to go through PUT tool or contact your Cisco Accounts Manager. On CCO, you will only be able to download non bootable image.

Regards

Deepak

"As far as ITL files is concerned, PCD will give you the option to change/configure them"

PCD has NO options at all regarding ITL files

ITL files WILL be changed for the above scenario

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Certificates_FAQ

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jaime i watched your video, How to upgrade a CUCM-CUPS 8.6 to CUCM-IM&P 11.0 why you use bootable .iso to upgrade CUCM? This is confunsing me.

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

Already replied to your email.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate