Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving Call Manager Cluster to a new location

mgezerseh
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks in advance to the community members here,

I have a client I'm working with that has multiple locations, one of which hosts the Call Manager cluster.  Recently they decided they need to move the cluster nodes to one of the other two locations as they are getting rid of BR3 location.  With that said, I'm helping with the move this upcoming weekend and it will be a first for me.  I'm hoping you guys could help me with a check list of what to look out for in order to make sure I can bring up the cluster with no issues in the new location.

Additional details:

There are no phones at the 3rd location, we are only moving the Call manager nodes.

The new locations have VPN tunnels already set up between them

Their are SIP trunks going out the BR3 currently which support BR2.  BR1 has it's own SIP trunks at that location

Thanks again for any insight you guys and gals can provide.

Iman

13 Replies 13

Before moving you need to make sure the recommended bandwidth for clustering as mentioned in the document   is available  between these two locations.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab11/collab11/models.html#13629

if any firewall comes in between these two CUCM servers, you need to make sure the clustering ports mentioned in the below link are opened.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/12_0_1/systemConfig/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1201/cucm_b_system-configuration-guide-1201_chapter_01010110.html

Response Signature

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

Are you changing IP addresses, or is it just a change of physical location.

It is only a change of the physical location.

Then there isn’t all that much that would need to be checked. Apart from making sure that the sites are within the boundaries for cluster over the wan. If this applies once you have moved the node to the new location you would check that database replication looks good and that the nodes in the cluster can communicate with each other.

Response Signature

Thank you Roger,

In addition to moving the cluster, I am also moving one of the gateways.  For the gateway, would there be anything other than the WAN interface that needs to be updated?

It would be easier to give you an answer if you provide some details about what you use the gateway for!

Response Signature

Sorry about that Roger,  I have Cisco ISR 3900 as the gateway.

I meant what function does the gateway serve? Is it related to any service in relation to CUCM?

Response Signature

It's a SIP gateway.  I attached the config file here for further clarity. Let me know if you need me to run any show commands that may be helpful. 

if you move the entire cluster to a new locations, you can ignore my above post. That will be  applied for scenarios where  the publisher is in one branch and the subscriber in another. 

Moving  the entire cluster and voice  gateway to a new locations with same network and ISP parameters,  there won't be any  issues. 

From the show run configuration, its a SIP gateway. 

Response Signature

Nithin, thanks for the info.  once everything is said and done, we do plan on having the publisher at one location and the subscriber at another.

For a customer, below where the two issues which  we come across shifting the subscriber to another locations. 

• even with any  any policy on MPLS firewall, clustering was not happening due to port blockage. Fortigate  team failed to resolve it and they opted firewall bypass option.
  • MPLS bandwidth was not sufficient enough for  the clustering.

Response Signature

Nithin, Thanks for the heads up on the MPLS and bandwidth issues. I will make sure to keep that in mind before the move.  Good thing is the move is no longer this weekend as they have had some change of staff.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: