Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple session target IP addresses in a dial peer

Andrew West
Level 4
Level 4

Hey everyone,

My integration is back to a Nortel PBX which has both an active an inactive core and each of those obviously has a different IP address.

I currently have dial peers that point back to the active core which look like this:

dial-peer voice 2 voip

description Outgoing calls to XXXXXX

destination-pattern 12345

session protocol sipv2

session target ipv4: 1.1.1.1

dtmf-relay rtp-nte

codec g711ulaw

no vad

I have about 6 of these plus a corresponding SIP trunk built on the CUCM. I know on that I can add the second IP address on the CUCM trunk without much issue but my question is about the dial peers on the CUBE.

Is their a way to handle multiple session IP's within 1 dial peer? I dont want to have to manually change each dial peer whenever the the active cores swap on the Nortel so if I could handle that in a programmtic way that would be ideal.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, there is no way. But you can summarize patterns to lesses the number of dial peers, and with latest IOS, also have multiple pattern under one same DP.

Michael Gerrard
Level 1
Level 1

Three ways spring to mind:

1) Use IP SLA and EEM to ping the primary PBX, and when it goes down you would get the EEM to change the preference statements round.

2) More simple I guess, is to just have multiple dial-peers with a preference statement, and ensure that the h225 connection establish timeout under voice service voip is minimal (3 seconds) - so that if the primary pbx dies, the router will then just pick the next dial-peer that matches the same destination-pattern.

If you want to do it all in one dial-peer then the closest I could probably come up with us to use session target dns. You then add a couple of A records onto DNS with the same name (Lets call the A record pbxservice), but have the two different IP addresses. The problem with this is that it's not terribly programmatical, and brings the complexity of DNS into the mix.

HTH!

Fedor Solovev
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/dialpeer/configuration/15-mt/vd-15-mt-book/multiple-server-groups.pdf

this can be done with voice class server-group instead of session target ipv4:

yes, beginning from IOS 15.4