Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Cord for CP-8865

Simple question.  Can I use a standard CAT5/6 network cord to connect my CISCO CP-8865?  The one that came with the phone is too short so I purchased a 15ft cable to direct connect to my router.  The connection head of the network cable is not "Clicking" into the back of the phone.  This is leading me to think I may need a special type of network cord.  Please advise, thanks!

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's a standard RJ-45

Ethernet switch

●  An internal 2-port Cisco Ethernet switch allows for a direct connection to a 10/100/1000BASE-T Ethernet network (IEEE 802.3i/802.3u/802.3ab) through an RJ-45 interface with single LAN connectivity for both the phone and a co-located PC
●  The system administrator can designate separate VLANs (IEEE 802.1Q) for the PC and phone, providing improved security and reliability of voice and data traffic

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/unified-ip-phone-8800-series/datasheet-c78-734731.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks. So right now I have an RJ-45 connecting my co-located PC to
router. I was going to connect "another" cord from phone to router, but it
sounds like I should connect phone to PC with another cord.

If you are daisy-chaining a PC off of the Computer port on the back of the phone, that connection is also a standard Cat5/RJ-45 cable. Maybe use the short cable out of the box for the phone-to-PC and your nice new 15' cable for phone-to-walljack?

Maren

Maren, thank you! This is super helpful!

Yes you can use standard cat5/6/7 cable. For most of our deployments we normal use 3-5 meter new cables and not the one which comes with box.

Second thing, you cant connect a phone to router. You need to connect the phone to switch port. And if phone is not using a power cube, the switch port must be a POE. Could you explain a little more abut this "connect to my router" scenario.

IF your cable have sleeve, adjust that. May be  because of the sleeve your are not hearing that "Clicking" sound.

You can connect your PC to phone. There is two ports available on the back side of the phone.To connect the PC use port 5 mentioned in the below picture.

Capture.PNG

Response Signature