Views
Helpful
Replies

New 8861 phones not picking up IP

Nighthawk68
Level 1
Level 1

Hello 

We have some new in box (old stock) 8861 phones that were donated to us. I cannot get these phones to pick up an IP and register in CUCM. I have tried factory resetting them. Checked and DHCP is active on the phone. I have some other not in use 8861 phones that we have had in stock for quite some time and those will pick up an IP address just fine and register. Is there something that has to be done to new "out of box" phones? 

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nighthawk68
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone my boss just discovered the switch I was trying to configure these phones on is old. Once we plugged the phones into a newer switch the phones would pick up an IP and register. Thanks to everyone who tried helping!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

pieterh
VIP
VIP

do you have port-authentication (DOT1x/MAB) enabled on your switchports ?
then you may need to have the new phone registered first in your authentication server (Radius/ISE)
if not authenticated, they do not have access to the network (an therfore may not receive a DHCP address)

Nighthawk68
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for replying but we don't have port authentication enabled.

Clear out the CTL. 

Factory-reset the phones.

Just went in and checked and a CTL signature is not installed.

What firmware version are they running and have you checked the bug toolkit for DHCP defects potentially impacting that version?

I checked on the phone and it looks like the firmware version is sip88xx.11-7-1-17. I am tryin to figure out how I upgrade the firm when the phone is not picking up an IP

Rouhollahkhb
Level 1
Level 1

The version of CUCM and Firmware that phone loaded with is very important. 

When the phone is going to register the UCM Server it will synch the firmware version with UCM.

sometimes the phone firmware must upgrade to some middle version and then to the UCM version.

another point is that maybe the phone is loading with 3PCC firmware, in that you should upgrade it to Enterprise Firmware. if you share the Part Number and Firmware version of IP Phone and also the UCM Version we could help you better.

Hello

I don't know what you mean by part # ??

UCM version is 14.0.1.11900-132

Phone firmware is sip88xx.11-7-1-17 (is it possible to upgrade a phones firmware when the phone is not picking up an IP?)

Thanks!

Have you tried connecting the phones on a working port means did you tried to replace a working phone and connect the non working phone.

The 8861 which register and which are not working are they on same versions ?

Does the phone shows vlan info

What does the status message says

Do you see any message on phone "network unavailable " ?

Response Signature

The 8861 which register and which are not working are they on same versions ? My working phone which is the same model is on sip88xx14-0-1-0201-171.

Does the phone shows vlan info: No VLAN info

What does the status message says: "Ethernet disconnected"

Do you see any message on phone "network unavailable " ? Yes i see that message or that it is searching for the network.

Nighthawk68
Level 1
Level 1

One more thing to add is that the switch is not even seeing the MAC address for any of these phones. Really starting to wonder if it is the firmware version on these phones that won't connect. I mentioned this below but how can the firmware be updated on a phone if it is not picking up an IP?

Nighthawk68
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone my boss just discovered the switch I was trying to configure these phones on is old. Once we plugged the phones into a newer switch the phones would pick up an IP and register. Thanks to everyone who tried helping!