cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Options to transfer, place on hold, etc. are disappearing on 79xx phones

Sean Grubb
Level 1
Level 1

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded a device pack on our CUCM to include support for 8821 phones, but with this came updated firmware for other models. While I understand it is always a good thing to keep up to date, recently there has been an issue with our older phones and more specifically the 7941/42 & 7961/62 models in a particular area. While I don't think that it is affecting our entire environment (we still have many of these models deployed and are slowly upgrading to 8811 SIP models), it has affected one area and I believe it has to do with the new firmware as well as the fact that a total of 26 phones share a DN.

System info:

CUCM ver: 10.5.2.13901-2

7941 ver: SCCP41.9-4-2SR2-2S

7942 ver: SCCP42.9-4-2SR2-2S

7961 ver: SCCP41.9-4-2SR2-2S

7962 ver: SCCP42.9-4-2SR2-2S

As I stated already, 26 different phones in a particular office all have a main DN on their phones. This way when it rings any of the 26 users can answer and if another call comes in on it, someone who isn't already taking a call on that line can answer. This was setup long before I got here so why they chose this route and not hunt groups or dummy extensions or anything I'm not sure, but that's how it is and it worked for many years before.

When the line rings and a user answers it, they get the option to End Call, Hold, Transfer, and More. However NOW it appears that if while one user is on the line talking and another call comes through on the line (I think the max number calls and max busy are set to 200 or something like that), then those standard options disappear on the user's phone that was already on a call. They are then presented with the options you normally see if you pick up the receiver and there wasn't a call (new call, redial, etc.). This only happens on this shared DN that I have been able to observe and the users have not reported it happening when a call comes in while they are on their personal lines.

Does anyone have any idea why this is the case now? I have tried changing max number of calls and busy trigger to different, lower numbers but it hasn't affected it positively. I could always specify the models of phones to rollback to a different version but I'd like to find out why this is happening and fix it instead.

Thank you in advance!

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sean,

Does this only happen on phone #1 while the call is ringing-in (ie: before it's been answered anywhere)? Once the second call has been answered do the proper softkeys reappear?

Cheers!

Rob

If I understand you correctly I believe the answer to your question is yes.

It happens like this:

--call comes in--

Phone #1 answers, all options are present and functional.

--another call comes in--

Phone #2 answers and all options are present, but options have disappeared on Phone #1 and do not come back.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sean,

I thought maybe this was happening only during the ring-in cycle of the second call, but that's not what you describe so I don't think my initial thought that this had something to do with "Auto line select' and/or "Auto call select" is correct.

It is possible that you are hitting this bug that affects the 9-4-2sr2 firmware that you are now running after the device pack install. You could try upgrading a couple of phones to 9-4-2sr3 to see if it solves the problem;

softkey template not updating from offhook to connected status
CSCva72381
Cheers!
Rob

Very interesting..

Thanks for the information. I will give this a shot today on a few of the phones and update this post once I have some results!

Thanks!

I manually updated a small handful of the phones to the sr3 version and it still hasn't resolved the issue.

I am thinking I may have to go back to the version the phones were using before the sr2 update.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sean,

Sorry to hear that the upgrade didn't fix this issue!

I would probably open a TAC case to find a permanent fix, but I also understand that the users may desire something be done ASAP. 

Please let us know how you make out with this going forward & best of luck!

Cheers!

Rob

PS: don't forget that you can open a TAC case right from this discussion by using the "create a service request" at the top right hand corner of this page :)

Just as an update, it has taken me almost all weekend and yesterday to convince TAC that this is NOT "working as intended" as he kept trying to tell me.

I haven't rolled back to an older FW version because I wanted to wait and see what the tech says now that he is doing more research.

So basically, still just wait and see. :/

drewvalko
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sean,

Did you ever find a resolution to this issue?

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: