cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pcap SIP call

E.
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to make a SIP call troubleshooting.
I did pcap for the issue SIP call and I discovered that below:

Destination: 10.44.168.1
Protocol: SIP/SDP
Length: 586
Info: Request: INVITE sip:2@10.44.168.1; user=phone

I couldn't identify the sip:2@10.44.168.1, that shall be internal ext. 2XXX and why pcap just showed 2@X.X.X.X?

3 Replies 3

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @E.,

SIP URIs might sometimes be presented in a simplified form, showing just the extension number and IP address. The full context of the SIP call, including the display name or username, might not be fully visible in the packet capture due to the way packet captures display raw packet contents.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Without any further info, just this little piece is useless.

You didn't even mention who is sending this "message".
You cannot take just one single piece of the smallest info and expect others to be able to help you?!
Why don't you explain your setup and post the pcap file, if you already have it? Or do you think everybody knows your setup and can read your mind?

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You didn’t specify what the PCAP was of but Cisco IP Phones registered CUCM/CME with SIP firmware behave this way by default. The first dialed digit is sent in the Request URI of the INVITE since it can’t be empty. CUCM initiates a KPML subscription immediately after the 100 TRYING response to collect subsequent digits, allowing it to perform digit-by-digit analysis of the dialing forest.

It’s possible to change this behavior with SIP Dial Rules on CUCM so the phone can recognize acceptable patterns locally and send an INVITE only when the string is complete, e.g. 2XXX. This is rare outside of very large environments where the KPML subscriptions represent a real load on the cluster (there is a sizing tool accessible to Cisco and partners). Because of how little it’s used, the feature can be a little finicky. I begrudgingly steer clear of it.