Helpful
Replies

Play Announcement if outgoing number is invalid via sip

shiblyibrahim
Level 3
Level 3

Hey,

Hope someone can help me.

So when we call over SIP and the number is invalid or so, it plays a fast busy tone. No announcement is played.

This is on CUCM.

How is this possible. 

Thank you in advance

Please rate the post Shibly Ibrahim
13 Replies 13

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Please can you clarify your question. Are you expecting the CUCM Annuciator to play the "Your call cannot be completed as dialled" message or are you asking about something else?

Hey James,

Thats correct to play an announcement like the call cannot be completed as dialled, please check your number and call again.

The annuciator should play a "Cannot call" message. Can you test that this works by dialing a number that will fail but will not go out of the CUBE (no route pattern). This could be something like *****

This test would show whether the Annunciator will run

Hi James,

The number is/was a working number and as per dial plans its fine. Spoke with the SIP provider, the call reaches them but is rejected may be the number is disconnected now.

So it's the responsibility of the ITSP to play the announcement if this is for an outbound call. They might want to do this via early media.

Hey Nipun,

Thank you, when I spoke with the ITSP they said its the responsibility of the call manager

Ok, so if an external number is busy or going to voicemail etc, how is the call manager supposed to know that it needs to play an announcement or greeting ? I hope I am understanding the scenario correctly.

Hi Nipun,

Thats correct.

CUCM --> Phone --> CUBE --> ITSP (Call Rejected as the number is disconnected)

Yeah so ask your ITSP how is the call manager supposed to know when/what announcement to play. I sometimes find ISP's really amusing with the issue always being on a Cisco side of things.
The annunciator will invoke for the scenario that James highlighted. That is not the only scenario possible but for what you are asking it won't and it doesn't even make sense.

Hi Nipun,

Likewise, hence i was breaking my head for the past few days not knowing what to do.

Thank you both for the help.

Send this to your ITSP -
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_5_1/ccmsys/accm-851-cm/a05ann.pdf

Have them understand what component of UCM does announcements and when. Specifically table 23-2.

If they can't relay the announcement, they just need to admit that and not punt it on Cisco, lol :)

Speaking to them now and they say they dont give out the messages. They send the error code.

Well there you have it. They don't do it. GW/CUBE can't play announcement either. As soon as the CUCM will receive the disconnect, it will tear the call legs and simply drop the call. AFAIK, there is simply no reason for UCM to invoke a annunciator here.