Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI Trunk group configuration

sudhir kumar1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

We are configuring Trunk groups for 4 E1's on a single router so kindly let me know that do i need to add trunk group under serial ports or only under controller configuration.

Can anybody share the sample config.

Regards..

Sudhir kumar

6 Replies 6

Sreekanth Narayanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You need to add them under Serial interface configuration.
You can verify the trunk group configuration by using the "show trunk group <name>" command. It will give you information of all the interfaces under the trunk group and their availability.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is example:

trunk group Local-PRI
description Local AT&T PRI circuits

interface Serial1/0:23
trunk-group Local-PRI 1

interface Serial1/1:23
trunk-group Local-PRI 2

dial-peer voice 1 pots
trunkgroup Local-PRI
description Local Trunks, Local calls
destination-pattern 81[2-9]..[2-9]......
progress_ind setup enable 3
progress_ind progress enable 8
forward-digits 11

Thanks for the reply

But i can also see the option of adding trunk group under controller configuration.

Can you pls explain is it required to add trunk group under controller.

regards..

sudhir kumar

The option of configuring trunk-group command under the controller is for Channel Associated Signaling (CAS) controllers like T1 CAS, E1 R2 CAS. When using PRI, the trunk-group command has to be configured under Serial Interface.
You can take a look at this IOS command reference that explains the various places trunk-group can be configured.
https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/vvf_r/vrg_t1_ps1839_TSD_Products_Command_Reference_Chapter.html#wp1500903

Trunks groups can be configured under controllers for PRIs also. It's not just for CAS configurations. The referenced Cisco IOS Voice Command Reference is quite old as it's for 12.3 I believe.

Where you choose to configure is a matter of preference. Personally I prefer to do it on the controllers.

Response Signature

edit