Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems registering phones on CUCM v7 - 'Conf CM List'

liammartin1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,
I've just started with a new employer and they have around 450 phones using CUCM v7 (I know, it's ancient, we're hopefully upgrading soon). My CUCM knowledge is just okay, I've never really had to get into the nitty gritty of the back end set up or problems that can arise there.
After a couple of issues over the last few weeks we're now in a position where several phones won't register at a particular remote site. Strangely it's not affecting all of the phones there, 14 have come back up but 11 are stuck in a 'Configuring CM List' loop.
Their Call Manager set up has one Sub and one Pub at a remote site and a second Sub at our HQ, but this one has been unreachable for some time (Probably broken due to its age). The working Pub and Sub went through an unintentional reboot a week or so ago after a power issue on site and we think these registration issues might have started since then. (Well over 300 phones from all device pools have successfully re-registered since then though)
I've also noticed some of the certificates are out of date, but any that can be regenerated directly from the servers have been done now though.
Things that I've tried or looked at-
Resetting the phones with the 'Hold #, 1234..' command.
Manually entering all required IP / TFTP info on non-registering phones.
CUCM is so old it doesn't have ITL files to delete.

I've changed the DHCP 150 rules at the site (company uses router pools rather than dedicated DHCP server) so that they don't try to TFTP access the subscriber that's offline.
Tried having the site's switch port as an access port with only the Voice VLAN present.
Deleted the phone's MAC from CUCM and put it back on with a copy of one that's working on site.
The phones will actually pick up an IP address from the Voice VLAN and also obtain all the correct TFTP server information through DHCP.

The TFTP service on both working CUCM servers has been restarted.
The Device Pool that the phones are in will look towards the working servers in their 'CM Group' first when trying to register. (The third server that's offline is still listed, but it's last in line)
The CNF.XML files are definitely stored on the servers for the MAC addresses of these non working phones.

We've had a support call as well and they recommended a lot of what I've already tried, their last resort is to restart all the services on both working CUCM servers, but we'll need a change request booked in for that.
So just wondering if anyone would have some advice on other things I could check before we reboot the lot.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

Leonardo Santana
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hu Liammartin1,

The phones are located at a remote site, these 11 IP Phones are SIP or SCCP or both?

Their are on the same subnet?

Both servers have all the services up and running?

You CUCM version is very old too, i suggest you to start thinking to make a refresh on your collab enviroment.

Regards

Leonardo Santana

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

Hi,
All the phones are on SCCP as they have no SIP implemented yet.
The phones that are working at this site are in the same subnet/vlan as the ones having issues. And not all CUCM services are up and running on the servers, but I think that was down to whichever external company set this all up for them 100 years ago. I think all the 'key' services are running though.

Thanks

The IP Phones that are stucked, its possible to ping and access their web browsers page?

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

After the unexpected reboot of the servers, is the database replication status on the servers good?

Are the set of phones that will not register similar in some way? (Phone model, subnet, site, protocol)

You said the information that the phones obtained via DHCP is correct (so correct VLAN, IP address, gateway, TFTP) so the trouble is certainly in CUCM. Can you pull a trace file that includes one of the phones attempting to register? And/or, can you pull a log file from a phone that is attempting to register?

Maren

Check the status messages on phone and see on which process  its  getting error. 

Response Signature