cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper Boot Sequence For Pub, Sub, UC8, CUPS, Server 2k8

nanosynth
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Dell 1950 Power Edge server running ESXi5 with Publisher 8.6, Subscriber 8.6, Unity Connection 8.6, Unified Presence 8.5 and Windows Server 2008R2 (Exchnage & Active Directory for CUCM) all running as seperate virtual machines on the Dell in my lab. Since I constantly start and stop each application when I work on them, I would like to know the best order to start and stop each CUCM application, and Windows too. I know everyhting has to sync with eachother, and Unity seems to take the longest to actually start to work. Could someone tell me the best order to bring up the applications and the best order to do the gracefull shutdown? Also, what do you think of my RAM allotments? Does Unity really need 4mb in a lab setup with 4 VM accounts?

Publisher   2mb

Subscriber 2mb

Unity Connection 4mb

Unified Presence 3mb

Win Server 2k8r2 3mb

VM Ware Esxi5  2mb

Thank you very much.

2 Replies 2

Marc Richter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm using a similar setup and my Startup order is like:

- Bring up ESXi

- Win Server for the AD (as I'm using LDAP sync and NTP)

- Publisher

- Subscriber

- Presence / Unity

You can play around with the memory as long as it's only used in an lab environment. Also check RTMT tool so you can see how much memory/CPU is used atm.

regards

Marc

Thats kind of what I have been doing, but since the recent addition of Presence, I was doing this:

ESXi

Win Server (LDAP sync (for all CUCM nodes) and Exchange Server for Presence and Unity, gets NTP off my 2811)

Publisher (Gets NTP off my 2811 SIP Gateway Router)

Presence (Only cause I believe(d) it needs to sync with publisher as fast as it can)

Subscriber

Unity (Last because it's so slow to actually start to work and take voicemails)

I had my memory in mb up above where it should have been gb.

They say to allocate 4gb to Unity, but whenever I check the memory usage in ESXi5 for Unity, it never goes above 2gb. Thats why I wanted to make Unity 2gb add a gb more to Presence and a gb more to Win Server