Helpful
Replies

Q on DN's and Partitions

msulieman
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have read in CCM 5.0 system guide the following:

(Before you configure any partitions or calling search spaces, all directory numbers (DN) reside in a

special partition named <None>, and all devices are assigned a calling search space also named <None>.

When you create custom partitions and calling search spaces, any calling search space that you create

also contains the <None> partition, while the <None> calling search space contains only the <None>

partition.)

so, my question is what is the best practice to configure

(IP Phones, fax machines, CTI ports, CTI route points, voice-mail ports, and Group Pickup)

for a multisite deployment with a centralized callprocessing:

1: to leave them in the None partition.

2: to put all them in one partition.

3: to assign all of them within each site to a different partition.

please advise

thanks

7 Replies 7

jbarcena
Level 9
Level 9

That is really up to you, I normally recommend to have one partition for each site, or for each department and then create the CSS for each site/department and assign the partition of the phones that you wish to reach.

This is the basics of CCM, you need to understand exactly how this works otherwise you will have a lot of problems in the future.

//Jorge

ok, but what if I leave them in the None Partition (in other words no need to create DN's partitions per site/Dept/...) so all phones are able to reach each others internally and this is what I need in my deployment, in such case, is it a best practice to leave all phone's DNs in None Partition?

Yes, if that is what you want just leave them all in None partition. In that case you actually do not need to create CSS just leave the CSS also in None.

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

My preference is to put all internal DNs across all sites in a partition called "internal" or something similar. There are, of course, reasons for using different partitions for internal numbers such as hiding caller ID info among others, but if you do not have these requirements, it simplifies things to have them all in the same partition. It is acceptable to leave these in the partition, but this leaves things to chance in my opinion.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

again, if I leave them in the None Partition so all phones are able to reach each others internally and this is basically what I need in my deployment, in such case, is it a best practice to leave all phone's DNs in None Partition?

what do u mean Brandon by (this leaves things to chance)?

and what are other reasons for using different partitions for internal numbers

many thanks

By leaving things to chance, I mean that you are not configuring the system to work this way. It simply happens to work. I understand that this accomplishes your current goal of all phones being capable of calling all other phones internally. I would still recommend using a defined partition as your requirements may change in the future. Using a definined partition now cannot do harm in the future. Using the None partition now could require reconfiguring DNs in the future.

Here are a few reasons for partitions:

1. Call display restrictions

2. Time-of-day routing

3. Security

Hope this helps.

Brandon

lfulgenzi
Level 7
Level 7

Putting DNs in seperate partitions gives you the control you will need to deploy security across your IP telephony deployment. This includes on-net as well as off-net access. It is very difficult to block access to a DN that is in the partition. For example, if you don't want people forwarding their line to the building access FXS port, you have to make sure that is in a seperate partition.

Somethings to consider:

- What dialplan strategy are you going to use? I'm not familiar with 5.x yet, but in 4.x you had the concept of the device and line calling search space.

- In 4.x calling search spaces had a max of 512+512 characters. Make sure you use short names where possible.

- Plan for expansion, even if no expansion is on the horizon.

- Don't over-partition when you don't need to.

- Be prepared to redesign your dial plan at least once. ;)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: