Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on SIP Dial Rules

Bill
Level 1
Level 1

This is on CUCM Version 14.0 SU3

How many Patterns can be configured under a Rule?
Is there a limit?

I've added up to 16, but it seems quirky after adding 10, in that I can no longer Delete any Pattern after adding the 11th one.
Seems like a bug.

And I know this doesn’t affect how it works, but it seems to sort the patterns randomly, rather than in the order they are entered.
Not a functional issue but for folks with OCD, it’s annoying.

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Hi

There should not be a limit on number of patterns.

To delete a pattern you need to select  a pattern as showend in the below picture, and click save to deleteScreenshot 2024-01-04 at 14.37.00.png

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Hi Carlo
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my message. I may have phrased it wrong.
I was referring to deleting an individual pattern (or parameter), not the entire group.
Here are two screenshots.
The first one has 10 Patterns, and when I select one, I can delete it.
The second one has 11 patterns, and when I select one, the delete button is grayed out.
And I did enter them in numeric order, but they rearrange themselves.

sip.png 

How interesting! My client just upgraded to SU3 and we are seeing the same behavior. I don't know that I noticed one way or the other prior to upgrading if the behavior was the same though.

If I tick the box for Delete Parameter and click Save, the delete works. Try that.

Maren

That is what I meant before ':)'

Even for patter or parameter, the behaviour is the same... just tick the "Delete" selection next to what you need to delete and click Save

My explanation is.. Due to the fact that  you can associate a pattern to a Key Button it has been thought as maximum 10 (from 0 to 9).

But I could be wrong.

Anyway this is not only for release 14 but all released i visited from when this feature has been implemented

Cheers

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

FYI: It is true for SIP Dial Rules that are PLARs as well, and not just Key Button with a number pattern. -- Maren

I see what you mean. Sorry. I had clicked the Delete Pattern, which completely removes everything.
But you are correct, click the Delete Parameter next to the pattern, than Save.
That works - Thanks you.

Not an answer to your question as such, but for what reason, other than for SIP PLAR, are you using SIP dial rules? From what I know they’re used with very old phones that didn’t support KMPL, but since those phones are end of everything since way way back what need do you have for SIP dial rules?

Response Signature

Roger
Thanks for asking.
You are correct, this is for a device that doesn't support KPML.
This is a new deployment for a Police Department.
They have a Recording server which mirrors the switchports to intercept the calls.
The issue is with outbound calls, the Called Party only shows the first digit, which is the Prefix digit 9.
So I am looking for a way for the recording server to display the full Called Party Number.

I haven't used SIP Rules so much, but I have learned a lot.

I had to play around to get it to work the way I wanted.

In my case, the customer uses 9 as the prefix digit.
I thought I could use 9! as the pattern for the SIP Rule.
But that messes with 911, as it would now wait for interdigit timeout.
Unfortunately there is no Urgent Priority for SIP Rules, or a way to specify a range of digits.
There is a Timeout 0 - but I could not get that to work for me.

So I created many patterns.
I also found that I needed to make the Pattern match with one less digit than the users would dial.

For example, if they dial 915085551212 (91 plus 10 digits), I had to make the Pattern in the rule as 915........ (91 plus 9 digits).
This way when they enter the last digit, it dials immediately.

I created Patterns like this:
and so on up to 919........

I also made patterns without the 1.
92....... etc

I really don't like how I had to do it, it seems quite messy.
But it should accomplish what I need to do.

The Recording vendor has been less than helpful with assisting.

Any thoughts on a better way to achieve this?

Thanks

Just guessing, but maybe you could use called transformation pattern(s) tied to the SIP trunk in the outbound direction for the recording system? That way you don’t need to use the legacy technology like SIP dial rules.

Response Signature

Hmm.  Interesting.
I didn't think of that.
I will try that. Might not be today though.
Thank you.