Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove Leading "+" when dialing from Cisco Jabber

bmrash
Level 1
Level 1

Hopefully somebody can lead me down the right path here:

In our organization we have a Security Operations team that uses Jabber as a dialer for their desk phones. This way they are able to search for a contact and dial them using Jabber instead of having to reach for the phone every couple of minutes and dial the numbers for each individual phone call - this was implemented to speed up security response.

Recently our IT Team made changes in LDAP to and a + in front of user phone numbers, this was so some sort of MFA system would integrate correctly with LDAP, I am not 100% on the details, I just know that the + cannot be removed in LDAP. Right now, the security team is having to "Call with Edit" from Jabber, and remove the + before dialing, which is slowing down their preferred response time.

My question: is there a filter or some way in CUCM that I can strip the + so that Jabber will send only the phone number digits to the phone? 

Example:

User phone number (123)-456-7890

Due to LDAP changes User phone number sent by Jabber to the Desk Phone: +(123)-456-7890

How can I strip that + in order to get the number to dial correctly?

5 Replies 5

It is not Jabber that sends the digits to the desk phone, it acts as a remote control telling the device to make the call, but it’s the device that sends the called number. With this I don’t think there is a way to as such achieve what you ask for. If it was it would be with Application Dial Rules, but those are a concoction that some sadistic folks at Cisco must have come up with to make the life of any system administrator miserable, so I would recommend you to stay away from them.

A much better solution would be to make it possible to dial the numbers directly as CM since many years has the possibility to handle numbers in the +E.164 format.

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg wrote:

A much better solution would be to make it possible to dial the numbers directly as CM since many years has the possibility to handle numbers in the +E.164 format.

I am having trouble finding instruction on this. Can you provide a link or instructions? I think this would my solution.

Look in the dial plan section in the SRND and use Google to search for it. There are plenty of good descriptions on how to set this up.

Response Signature

Are you asking if there is a way to remove the + from the LDAP import when CUCM is populating the "Telephone Number" field on the end-user page? Yes, it is possible with a Feature Group Template (and associated universal device template and universal line template and user profile). But it is a major pain in the backside.

I agree with @Roger Kallberg  that your most elegant solution is to allow dialing with a leading plus. If you are working with all NANP numbers, you can set up a Translation Pattern for +1.XXXXXXXXXX and discard Pre-Dot

Maren

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Application Dial Rules are worth a shot; it’s only one rule to test with. They are cluster-wide though, so be careful if the cluster supports multiple geos.

Having said that, the security team is actually moving in the right direction here. The “correct” solution is to update CUCM’s design to support +E.164. Most newer platforms have already standardized on it.