Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a failed CUCM Server

olighec
Level 1
Level 1

All,

We are currently running Callmanager 7.1(5) Business Edition on a MCS 7828 server.  I want to make sure I know what to do in the event of a hardware failure in that server.

We are already running nightly full backups to a remote SFTP server using the Disaster Recovery System.  In the event that the server hardware fails, is the following procedure correct and adequate to get us up and running again?

1) Install matching build of Callmanager Business Edition on new hardware (We have some comparable HP servers that I could get running quickly)

2) Configure networking on new server

3) Restore latest full backup onto new server.

In a situation like this, how does licensing work as the MAC address of the new server will not match the failed one.

Also, we have an ECD support contract, but I realize that getting replacement hardware from Cisco could take a day or more.  This would be to get the business up and running in the meantime.

I plan to test this soon, but wanted to make sure I have the mental checklist correct before I do so.

Thanks,

Chris

4 Replies 4

allan.thomas
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

The first important question is whether the HP hardware you have is supported hardware for CUCM 7.1? Refer to the following link for specific hardware requirement for MCS platforms used for software only installations, in addition I have provided another link which identifies the exact supported MCS platforms.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/product_solution_overview09186a0080107d79.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

The following is another link which breaks down the pre-requisite tasks in preparation for replacing either the Publisher or Subscriber nodes, you should find this helpful as it gives you a clear list of information that you should gather:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/7_1_2/cluster/clstr712.html

Regards
Allan

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Allan,

Thanks!  So if I am reading correctly, as long as I have hardware that is on the compatibility list ready, I can install my licensed build of CUCM on the hardware, contact licensing to have my current license files replaced with the MAC address of the new server, and then restore the latest backup from the dead server.

Sounds nice and simple.

Has anyone ever had to do that before?

Thanks!

- Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

We just did this in our lab a few weeks ago

It's important to to have the exact CUCM build version DVD

and good to keep in mind that the licenses from the old build

will work for 30 days to give you some time to work with licensing.

Cheers!

Rob

"And if I should fall behind
Wait for me" - Springsteen

Rob,

Good to hear!

So, I've found that the Cisco MCS7828-H3 is essentially the same hardware as a HP DL320 G5p with a Cisco green bezel.  I will be picking up a spare DL360 G5p and keeping it in our colocation facility offsite in case the MCS fails.

What originally started me on this train of thought was the health LED on the 7828 server showing a degraded state.  I have since found that it was just a failing RAM module, but it raised the question of what do do in case it were a power supply, motherboard, RAID controller, etc...

Thanks for the help everyone!

- Chris