cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP & E1 Dial Peers

dorelp777
Level 1
Level 1

I would like some help clarifying Dial peer setup and configuration. Please see setup above. we have a CUBE router which has a E1 that is to be used for faxing (faxes plugged into ATA devices) and SIP trunk to the Telco for all calls.

How would my dial peers look like and how can you configure outbound dial peers to know to use the E1 or SIP to call out???

My thoughts is I need 1 inbound dial peer for all incoming call from the e1 and

dial-peer voice 1 pots
 description Direct indial from E1
 destination-pattern 0T 
 direct-inward-dial
 port 0/3/0:15

dial-peer voice 2 voip
 description Fax outbound to CUCM
 destination-pattern 089470....  <-- Fax number range.
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
 fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback none

dial-peer voice 10 voip
 description SIP incoming
 session protocol sipv2
 session target sip-server
 incoming called-number .T
 voice-class codec 10 
 no voice-class sip outbound-proxy  
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
 fax protocol none

dial-peer voice 11 voip
 description SIP outgoing to CUCM
 destination-pattern 8........  <-- To match any of the many number ranges in the corporation but this might conflict or get matched by the E1 number range.
 session protocol sipv2
 session target ipv4:10.0.10.1
 voice-class codec 10 
 no voice-class sip outbound-proxy  
 dtmf-relay rtp-nte
 fax protocol none
 no vad

Now for calls going out of cucm to the cube to go out to the provider. Is all that configuration in CUCM? what dial peers would we have there?

any assistance would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

OK.. here's a few words to get you started.

I'm presuming here that you'll want to control on CUCM where the calls route to - i.e. SIP or E1.

We'll call this option 1:

- In CUCM, you'll add the gateway as a SIP gateway. This gives you a single 'endpoint' to route to, so you need to control calls in another way .

- You would do this by prefixing digits to the called number in CUCM. E.g. user dials 95551234; cucm strips 9 and prefixes 98 to give 98 555 1234. 

- 98T is the destination-pattern on a dial-peer (with session target x.x.x.x), so call routes to the target of that peer (e.g. SIP)

- 97T may be the prefix assigned to another dial-peer, which routes calls to E1 (via the port x/x:15 command). So if CUCM prefies 97 (97 555 1234) then it goes out the E1.

- those prefixes might be done based on what the user dials (the user might even dial the prefix) or as part of route list/group configuration so that calls go SIP primarily, and fail over to the E1.

Option 2 - if you just need  failover betweeen E1 and SIP

- You can create peers with the same destination-pattern (e.g. 9T) and then fail over between them by setting the 'preference' commmand.

Option 3 - MGCP and SIP

- The gateway could be configured as both a SIP GW and MGCP GW on CUCM. MGCP would be bound to the E1, and SIP as an IP target on a trunk. They are two seperate 'things' from CUCM's point of view, but really the same physical device.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

OK.. here's a few words to get you started.

I'm presuming here that you'll want to control on CUCM where the calls route to - i.e. SIP or E1.

We'll call this option 1:

- In CUCM, you'll add the gateway as a SIP gateway. This gives you a single 'endpoint' to route to, so you need to control calls in another way .

- You would do this by prefixing digits to the called number in CUCM. E.g. user dials 95551234; cucm strips 9 and prefixes 98 to give 98 555 1234. 

- 98T is the destination-pattern on a dial-peer (with session target x.x.x.x), so call routes to the target of that peer (e.g. SIP)

- 97T may be the prefix assigned to another dial-peer, which routes calls to E1 (via the port x/x:15 command). So if CUCM prefies 97 (97 555 1234) then it goes out the E1.

- those prefixes might be done based on what the user dials (the user might even dial the prefix) or as part of route list/group configuration so that calls go SIP primarily, and fail over to the E1.

Option 2 - if you just need  failover betweeen E1 and SIP

- You can create peers with the same destination-pattern (e.g. 9T) and then fail over between them by setting the 'preference' commmand.

Option 3 - MGCP and SIP

- The gateway could be configured as both a SIP GW and MGCP GW on CUCM. MGCP would be bound to the E1, and SIP as an IP target on a trunk. They are two seperate 'things' from CUCM's point of view, but really the same physical device.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!