Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Trunk configuration on 2900 router

kardosabr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello There...
I have cisco 2900 series router and we transformed to sip trunk recentrly, does this router model supports sip? needs a special license?
and how's the configurations please.

My network design is like this PSTN>>>Voice GW Router 2900>>>FIREWALL>>>Call Manager

18 Replies 18

It does support SIP and more to the point it supports acting as an SBC by using the Cube functionality. You’d need to have Cube session licenses to stay within the scope of license infringement. However your platform is end of support since many years, so you would not be able to procure the needed license. You’ll be better of by using something more current, like an ISR 4K, which is soon to be EOS, or a Catalyst 8K router, that is the predecessor to the 4K platform.

For the configuration please see this document. Cisco Unified Border Element Configuration Guide Through Cisco IOS XE 17.5

Response Signature

Thanks @Roger Kallberg 
Actually, The 2900 router acts as SBC now, current voice technology is based on E-gates other than SIP, The provider asks to transfer to SIP as the E-gates are EOS now,
Kindly, what are solutions other than purchasing new platform?
Is it possible to ignore Voice GW router and having the voice traffic directly goes through palo alto firewall to Call Manager?

I don’t know what E-gates is, but if it is as you state that your router is already acting as a SBC then I don’t see what you problem is, just configure the router to handle the SIP  connection from your service provider. In my previous response I provided a link to the document you’d need to use your old router as a SBC for SIP.

I would absolutely not recommend you to have the SIP trunk setup directly to your CM.

Response Signature

If your 2900 is acting as an SBC and leveraging the CUBE feature on the IOS, you don’t need anything else.

I have a customer who terminated the SIP trunk from the ISP on a firewall and performed the NAT. They succeeded in this setup, but the firewall had to work hard to make it function. I’m not sure if they are still using this setup or if they have transitioned to a CUBE setup.

The recommended option is to use a router that has CUBE licenses where you terminate the ISP SIP trunk. This is the commonly used method.

We have advised you to upgrade to the latest hardware because the current hardware you are using has reached its end-of-life quite some time ago. Moreover, you cannot procure any additional CUBE licenses if needed, and furthermore, you won’t receive any support for the hardware.

Response Signature

Thanks @Nithin Eluvathingal 
What are the configuration steps on the firewall in order to SIP to work?

I didn’t personally handle the firewall aspect. The team collaborated with the firewall vendor to get it operational, and I observed them facing significant challenges in this process.

You should consult with your firewall vendor for further assistance. As for the quote for the 4k router, I recommend reaching out to a local Cisco Partner who can provide the necessary support

Response Signature

How can I find out the cost for 4K platform pls?

Ask your Cisco supplier for a quote.

Response Signature

Hi ,

Just for your info, also 4K series is in EoL from about 1 year. The available option for you now are 8200

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/catalyst-8200-series-edge-platforms/nb-06-cat8200-series-edge-plat-ds-cte-en.html

or more powerfull 8300 series Router.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/catalyst-8300-series-edge-platforms/datasheet-c78-744088.html

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

kardosabr
Level 1
Level 1

E-gates are a hardware-based devices that handles the call traffic, supports 24 channels 24 sim cards, 
now we want to remove these devices and go with sip trunk.
if you have time, I'd like to share some of voice configs on the c2900 platform to check whether it's acting as SBC or not.

You are welcome to post your running configuration in a text file and attach it to a response.

Response Signature

Attached

Based on your shared configuration it is not acting as an SBC.

Response Signature

Thanks so much for your kind help,
This is my first time configuring a router to act as SBC, I will find workaround to how config SBC features.