Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP Trunks - SME

conie saga
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We are in stage of configuring SIP Trunk between 2 CUCM clusters (cluster A & cluster B ) via SME.

Can any body help how to configure incoming & outgoing calls on SME using SIP ? 

For Example:

For a call from user A (cluster A) to user B (cluster B)

User A from Cluster A will use Route Pattern for outgoing calls, what parameters need to be configure in SME to answer call coming from cluster A ?

Then for SME outgoing call towards cluster B, do we need to configure RP ? In cluster B what parameters need to be configure to answer call coming from SME ?

I am trying to understand the call leg step by step from one CUCM cluster to other through SME.

We have 3 Digits of extension in Cluster A & we have 4 Digits of extension in Cluster B.

Full numbers of ip phone in each cluster is 8 Digit & we want 8 digit calling pattern to call from cluster A to B & vice versa.

Thank in advance.

Regards,

Conie

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Suresh Hudda
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Conie,

For incoming calls you dont need to do as much at SME, just follow below steps.

1. Create a SIP trunk in Cluster A towards SME.

2. Create a SIP trunk in SME towards Cluster B.

3. Create a SIP trunk in Cluster B towards SME.

4. Create a SIP trunk in SME towards Cluster A.

Create below route patterns:

1. Create a route pattern (8xxxxxxx) in Cluster A (guessing extension series is 8xxxxxxx at Cluster B ) and point to the SIP trunk which pointing to SME.

2. Create a route pattern (8xxxxxxx) in SME and point to the SIP trunk which pointing to Cluster B.

3. Create a route pattern (4xxxxxxx) in Cluster B (guessing extension series is 4xxxxxxx at Cluster A ) and point to the SIP trunk which pointing to SME.

4. Create a route pattern (4xxxxxxx) in SME and point to the SIP trunk which pointing to Cluster A.

Hope this helps you.

Suresh

View solution in original post

Hi Conie,

No need to worry, It is absolutely correct. The SME is like CUCM only, the difference is, what you configure on it.

Suresh

Hi Conie,

It is good to go, but you need to take care of digit manipulation which you will do at SME because if SME is OOS then this manipulation will not work for ICT.

In that case you can select 3/4 digits under "significant digits" under "Inbound calls" of ICT at both Clusters.

Suresh

13 Replies 13

Suresh Hudda
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Conie,

For incoming calls you dont need to do as much at SME, just follow below steps.

1. Create a SIP trunk in Cluster A towards SME.

2. Create a SIP trunk in SME towards Cluster B.

3. Create a SIP trunk in Cluster B towards SME.

4. Create a SIP trunk in SME towards Cluster A.

Create below route patterns:

1. Create a route pattern (8xxxxxxx) in Cluster A (guessing extension series is 8xxxxxxx at Cluster B ) and point to the SIP trunk which pointing to SME.

2. Create a route pattern (8xxxxxxx) in SME and point to the SIP trunk which pointing to Cluster B.

3. Create a route pattern (4xxxxxxx) in Cluster B (guessing extension series is 4xxxxxxx at Cluster A ) and point to the SIP trunk which pointing to SME.

4. Create a route pattern (4xxxxxxx) in SME and point to the SIP trunk which pointing to Cluster A.

Hope this helps you.

Suresh

Hi Suresh,

Perfect answer, this is what i was looking for :) +5 points for you

I just installed SME in my lab & found that it has exactly same interface as of CUCM 9. Did i installed wrong file for installation or SME has the same CUCM interface ?

I used UCSInstall_UCOS_9.1.2.11900-12.sgn file from cisco.com with ova for 7500 users.

Hi Conie,

No need to worry, It is absolutely correct. The SME is like CUCM only, the difference is, what you configure on it.

Suresh

Thanx for confirmation.

As i mentioned Cluster A ip phones has 3 Digits extensions & cluster B has 4 Digits extensions. Complete phones number of ip phones in each cluster is 8 Digits.

We want our users to dial 8 digit to call from Cluster A to Cluster B.

Here we have to break 8 digit number into 4 or 3 digit of extension.

For strip 8 digits number into extension, do we need to use translation-pattern ? is there any other better option ?

What is the best place to strip the digit? when call from cluster A to cluster B Should we strip in SME or in cluster B  & when call from cluster B to cluster A ?

It depends on dial plan and the way you can, but moreover, to keep the dial plan centralized you can do this manipulation at SME. You just need to put "dot" in route patterns at SME and select the pre dot under discard digits.

e.g. 1st route pattern at SME: 8xxx.xxxx

2nd route pattern at SME: 4xxxx.xxx

Suresh

Got it.

We have only one SME server at time & we are planning to use Inter-cluster trunk between clusters as backup incase if SME stop working for any malfunctioning reason.

For inter-cluster trunks we will have :

1- Inter-Cluster trunk in Cluster A point to Cluster B ?

2- Inter-Cluster trunk in Cluster B point to Cluster A ?

3- In cluster A RL, set inter-cluster trunk for cluster B as secondary ?

4- In cluster B RL, set inter-cluster trunk for cluster A as secondary ?

should i use same calling approach as we discussed above via Route Patterns only ?

As we have CUCM 8.6 in both clusters, we are planning to use H.323 Inter-Cluster (Non Gatekeeper) Trunk as backup.

And PSTN lines as backup for H.323 Inter-cluster.

Do you have any comments regarding our design ? are we on right track with this failover approach ?

Regards,

Conie

Thank you to being answering my questions appreciated your answers helped me alot.

Hi Conie,

It is good to go, but you need to take care of digit manipulation which you will do at SME because if SME is OOS then this manipulation will not work for ICT.

In that case you can select 3/4 digits under "significant digits" under "Inbound calls" of ICT at both Clusters.

Suresh

Alright Suresh,

Thank you so much to be replying.

I will post here incase if any help required.

Much appreciated you made my life easy

Kind Regards,

Conie

you are most welcome Conie, it's feel good that i answered yours queries :-)

Suresh

Hello, I also am down sizing currently 9 cucm clusters down to only two clusters. I had originally intended to deploy SME for on net call routing and centralized Unity Connection, but once we decided to collapse clusters I am not seeing a benefit in deploying SME. We can simply route on net calls between clusters with a sip trunk and a few route patterns. Any thought on not pursuing SME?

As your question is off topic to the OP and the post is marked as Solved plus is nine years old it is advised for you to create your own post to ask your question.

Response Signature

Abhishek Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Suresh, it cleared my doubt as well ... you are the best.

Hi Abhish011,

You are most welcome :-)

Please rate those answers, which you find helpful.

Suresh