Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP URI Dialling

e.parsonage
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm trying to setup URI dialing using 3rd party SIP endpoints registered to CUCM v9.x and so far have managed to get it working using ip addresses (extn 1000@10.10.10.10) however I can't seem to make it work using a domain name (extn 1000@mydomain.com).

I believe the problem is to do with setting up a SRV DNS record which I've tried to setup however I can't seem to make it work, does anyone have details of how to set this up using Microsoft DNS server? As haven't been able to find a decent example anywhere.

I'm certainly no expert in DNS or SRV records to please be gentle, however any help or pointers would extremely helpful, I'm also open to ideas if anyone thinks I'm way off track!!

Thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you want to use DNS or SRV records, then on your DNS server you need to create both alias address record under your domain and reverse lookup..You also need to assign your DNS server to CUCM.

You also need to use a particular host under your mydomain.com eg,,,server1.mydomain.com..You then create an alias and a reverse lookup record for server1 under the paremt domain: mydomain.com

So your sip trunk destination will be server1.mydomain.com

Hav a look here to see how to configure a reverse lookup record

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961414.aspx

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

Thanks for your reply, however I don't believe you have understood the question therefore I will try and explain it a little clearer....................

There is NO SIP trunk involved, what I'm after is details on using 3rd party SIP endpoints registered to CUCM and for them to be able to URI dial using the format 1000@mydomain.com to another endpoint - This will quite obviously be directed to the DNS server which will need a SRV record to forward the INVITE to the CUCM.

I'm not looking for generic details on how to setup a SRV record, I'm looking for the details on setting up a Microsoft DNS server with a specific SRV record which forwards *@mydomain.com to the CUCM.

I'm assuming it the SRV record needs to be something like _sip.udp_ but can't find anything which defines it.

If the phone is doing a DNS SRV lookup then it isn't registered to CUCM as a SIP Proxy/Registrar. If it was then it should be sending an INVITE with the To header set as 'To:1000@mydomain.com' directly to CUCM.

The DNS SRV record is used by other SIP Proxies (e.g. a gateway or another PBX) which need to lookup what is servicing SIP requests for mydomain.com. In this case you create A records for the CUCM nodes, then SRV records which resolve to the A records. For example:

_SIP._TCP.mydomain.com 86400 IN SRV 10 0 5060 cucm1.mydomain.com.

_SIP._TCP.mydomain.com 86400 IN SRV 20 0 5060 cucm2.mydomain.com.

_SIP._UDP.mydomain.com 86400 IN SRV 10 0 5060 cucm1.mydomain.com.

_SIP._UDP.mydomain.com 86400 IN SRV 20 0 5060 cucm2.mydomain.com.

The important part is that CUCM needs a SIP trunk for this other entitty before it will accept the arriving INVITE. It won't just accept a request from an unknown entitiy; this would be a massive security/toll-fraud hole.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Thanks Jonathan,

This makes sense, I will re-register the 3rd party devices as SIP Proxy/Registrar and give it another go................