Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP vs MGCP

rramlal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am trying to determine the best gateway protocol for a centralised multi-site topology which would like to have TEHO (least cost routing) implemented. I am accustomed to MGCP and find it very simple to configure and manage however we are also considering SIP since there are some integrations to non-cisco pbxs at some locations.

Can you provide some feedback on this? What do you think SIP or MGCP. Its over 40 sites.

5 Replies 5

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The following post discusses this query in detail

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12081716/difference-between-h323mgcpsipsccp

HTH

Manish

Thanks for the information. I understand that SIP is the future but what do I need to think if I am designing voip network with SIP gateways and also should have TEHO configured.

How will this setup work? Will it be too complex? What design components do I need to consider for this to work?

Also the majority of these gateways are connecting to the PSTN via T1s or analog lines.

Hi,

Its not easy to comment whether SIP is easy to configure or tough as it depends on person to person but if you have worked on H323 then from a configuration point of view it will not be that tough.

You can refer to the below document which covers all the aspects of integration between CUCM and the voice gateway when using SIP

https://supportforums.cisco.com/blog/12108326/implementing-sip-gateways-cucm

Aseem

(Please rate if useful)

Hi,

The link which Manish provided is very detailed.

In summary, MGCP is phasing out. For new deployments, I believe the way forward is to go with SIP being an open standard and understood by most applications and vendors.

Vendors aren't investing more in H323 and MGCP development. They are very focused on SIP especially with the future direction being towards cloud collaboration, IM and Presence, video calling.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: