Views
Helpful
Replies

SMS on FXO or SIP trunks

scr.sybex1
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

I am new to VoIP, I want to know if i can send SMS through FXO port (Co-Line)? is it possible?

and if that possible what is the requirement? is it need something through CO to support this feature or i can send SMS without any additional feature on CO or Provider side.

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Not even remotely possible over an analog FXO port. SMS is a cellular network feature. To my knowledge, there is no provider that supports SMS over a SIP trunk either. A few UCaaS platforms support it as a built-in feature - typically termed Business SMS. You can also look at Twilio which supports SMS and SIP trunks, but I believe as separate things.

View solution in original post

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
When you say SMS, you really mean cellular SMS or text in general ? The latter is possible.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Not even remotely possible over an analog FXO port. SMS is a cellular network feature. To my knowledge, there is no provider that supports SMS over a SIP trunk either. A few UCaaS platforms support it as a built-in feature - typically termed Business SMS. You can also look at Twilio which supports SMS and SIP trunks, but I believe as separate things.

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
When you say SMS, you really mean cellular SMS or text in general ? The latter is possible.