Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP Server

AOMD
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all 

I would like to know when I should use a separate TFTP Server!

I have a cluster with two servers, one publisher and one subscriber! these two servers being used as TFTP servers. I would like to know when I should use a sperate TFTP server? 

Is there a maximum number of registered IP Phones when CUCM reaches, then it should be a sperate TFTP server? if yes, what is the maximum number?

is Cisco TFTP server as same as t CUCM accept it is only being used as TFTP server? should I install it in UCS? I have two UCS servers

Regards

AOMD

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, CUCM TFTP is the same install as any other CUCM subscriber, the only difference is once it's installed you just need to start the TFTP service. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

AOMD
Level 1
Level 1
Dear all

I would like to know when I should use a separate TFTP Server!

I have a cluster with two servers, one publisher and one subscriber! these two servers being used as TFTP servers. I would like to know when I should use a sperate TFTP server?

Is there a maximum number of registered IP Phones when CUCM reaches, then it should be a sperate TFTP server? if yes, what is the maximum number?

is Cisco TFTP server as same as t CUCM except it is only being used as TFTP server? should I install it in UCS? I have two UCS servers

Regards

AOMD

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Per SRND any deployment with > 1250 phones requires dedicated TFTP node(s).

I don't mean to quibble, but "required" is really "recommended". At 1250 phones Cisco also "requires" a dedicated Publisher if I'm not mistaken. And it seems a bit much to require four servers for 1250 phones.

I think part of the equation should also be "how much will I grow in the next couple of years", and "how much traffic will the TFTP server need to support" (repeated firmware downloads, lots of reboots, custom backgrounds and ringtones, lots of CIPC/Jabber clients), and how much resiliency to I require.

There is rarely a single 'right' answer when it comes to designing a UC system. Certainly at 1250 phones or so you should start considering these things, but actually 'required' is less clear.

Maren

Thank you 

yes as far as I know that at 1250 or above, it is recommended to have a sperate TFTP server. As I have only to UCSs ( one for the publisher and the other one is for the subscriber) I will Install in each UCS new server as TFTP server. However, the question here is that 

Is  Cisco TFTP server software same as Publisher or there is a different software for Cisco TFTP server!!

Regards

Yes, CUCM TFTP is the same install as any other CUCM subscriber, the only difference is once it's installed you just need to start the TFTP service. 

many thanks, Chris

I will install two TFTP servers as I have two UCSs.