Views
Helpful
Replies

Translating calling number of Extensions

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I have several remote sites that share the same gateway for outbound PSTN calls and I am looking for a way to translate Calling number of extensions to a 10-digit number (like the main number where the call is originated from) for outbound PSTN calls. For example: any outbound PSTN call that starts with extension 15xx translate it to 5156161616 or any call that starts with extension 17xx translate it to 6165151515.

I believe this can be done at the router using Translation rule or using Transformation Mask in Route Pattern in CUCM. I am not sure where would be the best place to accomplish this. I am running CUCM 7.1.3

Has anyone run into this scenario and had a solution for it ? I appreciate any inputs / suggestions !!!

Thanks in advance !!!

D.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There

first of all if yo have an ISDN line to the PSTN and the Telco allocated a number range for this line/ines for example 515616XX then you can not send another number range as a calling number over this line ( unless you discuss it with your Teleco and they allow it )

in anyway if this is allowed and possible to send differnt number range over same PSTN line you can use the bellow on your voice gateway ( you could do on in CUCM level route-pattrens for example ) but this is better interns of last exit point to the number )

in your H323 VG ( if you are using H323 ) if MGCP then do it in CUCM - translation pattrens

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /.*15..$/ /5156161616/

rule 2 /.*17..$/ /6165151515/

voice translation-profile PSTN1

translate calling 1

then apply it to your outbound PSTN/POTS dial-peer

lets say your dial-peer number is 1

dial-peer voice 1 pots

translation-profile outgoing PSTN1

HTH

ifhelpful Rate

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi There

first of all if yo have an ISDN line to the PSTN and the Telco allocated a number range for this line/ines for example 515616XX then you can not send another number range as a calling number over this line ( unless you discuss it with your Teleco and they allow it )

in anyway if this is allowed and possible to send differnt number range over same PSTN line you can use the bellow on your voice gateway ( you could do on in CUCM level route-pattrens for example ) but this is better interns of last exit point to the number )

in your H323 VG ( if you are using H323 ) if MGCP then do it in CUCM - translation pattrens

voice translation-rule 1

rule 1 /.*15..$/ /5156161616/

rule 2 /.*17..$/ /6165151515/

voice translation-profile PSTN1

translate calling 1

then apply it to your outbound PSTN/POTS dial-peer

lets say your dial-peer number is 1

dial-peer voice 1 pots

translation-profile outgoing PSTN1

HTH

ifhelpful Rate

Hi Marwanshawi

Thanks for your response !!! very much appreciate your help !!!

My ISDN lines will accept any digits come from the gateway. Where do you suggest that I should apply the digit translattion ? should I use Translation rule at the router ? or use Transformation mask at the Route Pattern in CUCM ?

Thanks again !!!

D.

To add to Marwans reply (+5), I would recommend on doing the calling party translation as close to the gateway as possible (voice-port/dial-peers, etc).  By doing the manipulation on the route pattern in CUCM, if you're going to be routing through a route-list for redundancy, that calling party translation will occur regardless of what gateway it is being sent out, and may adjust the calling number incorrectly during a failover scenario.  This may not be the case in your scenario however.  But I've always found that you also want to keep it as simple as possible by trying to do your translations in the same place when possible (ex. either on the translation pattern, route pattern, calling/called party transformations in CUCM or translation rules in gateways, etc.)

HTH,

Chris

If I understand this correctly, there is a much simpler way to accomplish this.

Set the external number mask to whatever you want to present on the individual DN's, and then check the box on the the route pattern configuration to use the callers external number mask. 

You can do translations, translation patterns, etc., but this might accomplish it in a way that's a lot easier to maintain/manage.

Cliff

Thanks all for responding !!!

I am going to go with Marwanshawi and Cleilikis recommendation, keep it simple by using translation rule at the router/gateway.

D.