Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connection Digital Networking

yogesh.mhatre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are in the planning phase of digital networking and i had a question i cannot get answers from documentation i have.

Can we use digital networking to rehome users from one cluster to another cluster?

Please help.

Thanks,

Yogesh Mhatre

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I dont believe you can.  The reason being is that everything can not be transferred over.  Another reason, if they are UM enabled, there is no way to replicate this information or re-connect the sync between Exchange and the new CUC server they would be homed to.  Digital networking for CUC is really only used for directory, fowarding of messages, distribution lists, etc.  

In Unity with AD (pre CUC) Active Directory would handle this and SQL replication all in the background.  Basically move the user between SQL databases.  However, its not same currently CUC

View solution in original post

What you are thinking of is most likely the COBRAS Hot Mode migration which enables you to move users between two clusters that are connected via digital networking.  However, this requires that both clusters be running Unity Connection 8.5 or later and still requires the use of COBRAS.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

You will need the same version to network CUC.

COBRAS does not care abou the directory. If there is a matching alias, it will match it. If there is a not a match, COBRAs will ask you if its “okay” to create a new users or you can map it. (Overwrite existing or create new) with the subscriber template.

Remember, COBRAS will not remove the subscriber from the existing CUC server. You will need to this manually. You may want to check out www.ciscounitytools.com<> and watch the COBRAS help video to have an understanding what it can and not do. (or read the help file)

cheers

6 Replies 6

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I dont believe you can.  The reason being is that everything can not be transferred over.  Another reason, if they are UM enabled, there is no way to replicate this information or re-connect the sync between Exchange and the new CUC server they would be homed to.  Digital networking for CUC is really only used for directory, fowarding of messages, distribution lists, etc.  

In Unity with AD (pre CUC) Active Directory would handle this and SQL replication all in the background.  Basically move the user between SQL databases.  However, its not same currently CUC

Clifford McGlamry
Spotlight
Spotlight

No, you can't. 

But you can use the cobras tool (download from www.ciscounitytools.com the version needed for your specific systems) and move users between systems with that.

It's very easy to use.  Options vary based on what you're coming from/going to, but the docs are excellent.

Please rate helpful posts.

Cliff

What you are thinking of is most likely the COBRAS Hot Mode migration which enables you to move users between two clusters that are connected via digital networking.  However, this requires that both clusters be running Unity Connection 8.5 or later and still requires the use of COBRAS.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thank You for your reply.

I will use COBRA to export and then import the users.

I had more questions,

1) Do I need to have same version of Unity Connection Cluster to connect them with Digital Networking?

2) When i use COBRA to import user on the other cluster, who the directory create an issue as it will the existing user information?

Please reply.

You will need the same version to network CUC.

COBRAS does not care abou the directory. If there is a matching alias, it will match it. If there is a not a match, COBRAs will ask you if its “okay” to create a new users or you can map it. (Overwrite existing or create new) with the subscriber template.

Remember, COBRAS will not remove the subscriber from the existing CUC server. You will need to this manually. You may want to check out www.ciscounitytools.com<> and watch the COBRAS help video to have an understanding what it can and not do. (or read the help file)

cheers

Thanks for your information.

I have both clusters on CUC 7.1.5 version but the build are different.

Do I need to have the build same as well?