Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading from CUCM 8.5 to 8.6 MCS server

I have a cluster with 1 pub and 4 sub running on 8.5 using MCS server..

We want to change the hardware to another set of MCS server..

I was planning to do a fresh install on new set of MCS Server with bootable version of  8.6..

And then use DB from old 8.5 and restore it on 8.6?

Is this possible?

11 Replies 11

Suresh Hudda
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No, its not possible. DRS backup can be restored only on same version.

Suresh

So I have to upgrade to 8.6 on old hardware 

Then take out backup and restore it on new hardware?

[+5] to Suresh.

Yes, u need to upgrade to 8.6 on old MCS and then do, restore on new MCS server.

you also need to re-host/generate fresh licenses since MAC address would get change  after MCS is changed.

rgeds,

aman

Additionally, I will be using new IP Address on new CUCM and domain name for certificates.. I have like 500 phones registered on old CUCM.. Will i be forced to remove CTL and ITL files from these phones to make them register to new CUCM..?

Just adding to the nice infor from Aman and Suresh, regarding your last query please note that DRS backup can be restored only if you are using the same IP, hostname etc. So, change the IP or hostname only after the DRS backup has been restored on new MCS 8.6 version.  The procedure and impact of changing IP addr and hostname on cucm 8.6 is outlined here

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/ipchange/ipchg861.html#wp68037

In a multi-server cluster, ensure that you change the IP address or hostname on only one server at a time. If you use CTL files or tokens, re-run the CTL client after you change the IP address or hostname of the server, or after you change the DNS domain name.

HTH

Manish

So steps in High level should be as below?

1. Upgrade old 8.5 to 8.6

2. Take back up

3. Restore on newly built 8.6 and apply new MAC license

4. Change Domain name and IP address

5. and new CTL and ITL files will automatically updated on IP Phones?

I am not 100% sure about step 5..

Hi,

Step 5 is explained in the "Initial Trust List and Certificate Regeneration" section of the link that i shared earlier

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_5_1/ipchange/ipchg851.html#wp57390

If you change the IP address or the hostname of a server in a Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 8.0 or later cluster, the Initial Trust List (ITL) file and the certificates in the ITL are regenerated. The regenerated files do not match the files stored on the phones.

Single-Server Cluster

If you change the IP address or the hostname of the server in a Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 8.0 or later single-server cluster and you are using ITL files, perform the following steps to reset the phones.

Enable rollback prior to changing the IP address or hostname of the server.

Step 1 Set the enterprise parameter Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0 to True.

Step 2 Restart TVS and TFTP.

Step 3 Reset all phones. The phones download an ITL file that contains empty TVS and TFTP certificate sections.

Step 4 On the phone, select Settings > Security > True List > ITL to verify that the TVS and TFTP certificate sections of the ITL file are empty.

Step 5 Change the IP address or hostname of the server and let the phones configured for rollback register to the cluster.

Step 6 After all the phones have successfully registered to the cluster, set the enterprise parameter Prepare Cluster for Rollback to pre-8.0 to False.

Step 7 Restart TVS and TFTP.

Step 8 Reset all phones.

If you use CTL files or tokens, re-run the CTL client after you change the IP address or hostname of the server, or after you change the DNS domain name.

Multi-Server Cluster

In a multi-server cluster, the phones should have primary and secondary TVS servers to validate the regenerated ITL file and certificates. If a phone can not contact the primary TVS server (due to recent configuration changes), it will fall back to the secondary server. The TVS servers are identified by the CM Group assigned to the phone.

In a multi-server cluster, ensure that you change the IP address or hostname on only one server at a time. If you use CTL files or tokens, re-run the CTL client after you change the IP address or hostname of the server, or after you change the DNS domain name.

HTH

Manish

thanks i will read this and check if i have any doubts.. 

I'd probably just enable the parameter to prepare for rollback so that ITL is removed from the phones, now, are you using a mixed mode cluster?? you mention CTL

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I might have exaggerated. I checked few phones they are using only ITL files..

CTL files says as Not Installed.. Does only Mixed mode cluster use CTL files? How do i know if my cluster is mixed more or not..

Go to CUCM Admin Page > System > Enterprise Parameters and verify that the cluster is set to Non-Secure Mode ("0" indicates Non-Secure).

Note- In case suppose someone has changed the cluster mode from non secure to mixed mode in past and then he rolled back (mixed mode -> non secure) again,  in that case you may find ctl files on phones but they won't do anything.

Suresh