Views
Helpful
Replies

Various Phases of MRGL?

techToddler
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends

Please help me understand the usage or function of MRGL on the below setup.

PSTN ---- Gateway ---SIP trunk --- CUCM ---- Phones

We have unicast enabled. 

We have a SIP trunk from CUCM to Gateway.

The phones have assigned a MRGL.

Similarly the SIP trunk has assigned a MRGL.

I need to know the function or where or at what place these two MRGL are used and needed? Like if a call is placed from PSTN to phone, is the MRGL from SIP trunk used or CUCM. Why the need of assigning MRGL to two places. 

Regards

Sanjay.

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Because depending on what you need, either one might need to invoke resources.

If you put a call using the SIP trunk on hold, the SIP trunk needs to know which MOH servers are available.

If you put a phone on hold, the phone also needs to know which MOH servers are available.

In both cases, they find out via their MRGL

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmsys/CUCM_BK_SE5FCFB6_00_cucm-system-guide-100/CUCM_BK_SE5FCFB6_00_cucm-system-guide-100_chapter_010110.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Jaime,

But for instance take this as an example.

I have a call from PSTN reaching the gateway. From Gateway it is going to CUCM and then to the phone.

In this case, what MRGL is used when the phone places a call oh hold. 

Is there an example that you can give me for call on hold using SIP Trunk in my setup.

Regards 

Sanjay.

"In this case, what MRGL is used when the phone places a call oh hold."

I already answered that question, see my previous reply.

And I already gave an example of a call in the SIP trunk being put on hold, once again, it will use the SIP trunk MRGL.

Simply put, the device that presses the hold button, defines what the party who is put on hold will hear, from which server the party on hold will get the MOH, is defined by the MRGL assigned to it.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

When call comes from the PSTN, the call is established end to end i.e, from Gateway to Phone. Taking your example, if the phone will place hold button, the audio source used will be of the phone and the MRGL used will be of SIP Trunk

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/4x/42moh.html#wp1043658

Regards

Deepak