cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Version CME that supports fax on-ramp and fax off-ramp

Meddane
VIP
VIP

What is the supported version of CME for fax on-ramp and fax off-ramp?

I use the following version

CME#show telephony-service
CONFIG (Version=8.1)
=====================
Version 8.1

8 Replies 8

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

T.37 support is ancient, as in 5300/5400 era support. My advice is to use T.38 relay instead though. The problem with T.37 is that it acks the sender before it actually transmits; if that fails the fax just disappears. For example, an SMTP send failure.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/fax/configuration/15-mt/vf-15-mt-book/Configuring_T_37_Store_and_Forward_Fax.html

@Jonathan Schulenberg  does the T.38 fax relay provide email to fax conversion?

No. T.38 is a relay mechanism for conveying T.30 fax tones over IP networks. If you're looking for a solid fax server, I still recommend XM FaxImagicle also makes a kitchen-sink approach solution that includes fax server capabilities.

I know for imagicle solution.

1-can I do OFF-ramp on router 2800?

2-do we need internal SMTP server for OFF Ramp?

2800 supports T.38

If you use T.38, then you need an instance, that accepts the call (like a normal fax) and then translates it to whatever format you need (like PDF sent via email to the user).

That's what fax servers are there for.

@b.winter My goal is to translate email to fax and send out to PSTN so how to do it?

That's what fax servers also do.

What you are looking for is a fax server, that does the conversion between mail to fax or vice-versa.

Install a fax server and connect it to your mail server.

The fax server is also connected to CUCM (e.g via SIP trunk) and dials out or receives calls like a normal device.

User sends a mail

Mail server sends the mail to the fax server

Fax server converts the mail to a fax call

The call goes to CUCM and is routed like a normal call to outbound using T.38.

For inbound calls, the process is the same but backwords

That's the way, how people are doing it (not taking fax on ATA, VG or FXS port into account)

If never seen or done it any other way.

@b.winterI agree with you, a fax server can do this job, like UC Imagicle Suite , but we can do it also with Off-Ramp which does not need a FAX Server.