cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cube design and requirements

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

atm my setup is cucm>sip trunk>cube>sip trunk>isp. I have setup my isr as cube and it is working fine . Problem is now it needs a license so can i keep my current setup without making the router as cube "border element"? or is it a requirement?

6 Replies 6

If you want to run the gateway as an SBC, Session Border Controller, aka a Cube, you’ll need to issue that command and have the proper license to do so.

Response Signature

baselzind
Level 6
Level 6

but i had instances before where an isr is routing "cucm>h323>ISR>sip>another branch" without any cube license? 

Likely that could have been during the era when Cube licenses was RTU, Right To Use.

Response Signature

You can set up your router to have inbound voip dial peers use outbound voip dial peers with the 'allow-connections sip to sip' command under voice service voip without having 'mode border element' enabled BUT...you will not be able to use local transcode resources, apply SIP Profiles, do any of the CUBE-related show or debug commands, and you lose a lot of functionality. So doing this is possible, but not recommended (REALLY not recommended) in a production environment.

Maren

@Maren Mahoney As it is REALLY not recommended I didn’t even want to mention it as an option.

’;-)’

Response Signature

thanks this almost solves my situation as my problem is that I have to convince management why the device is requiring cube license where we had other location with basic H323<>sip configuration without any cube license. I believe the answer is because im using sip profile and sip authentication this requires the cube license