Views
Helpful
Replies

VM Templates - UC servers

kwaldecker
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I am getting ready to do another UCS server and was looking over my notes.  Is there  a separate cisco VMware template for the Unity Connection voicemail system or do we use the call manager one?

trying to find all the ones i need. there was a cisco link that showed templates for different amounts of users for call manager and unity connections but when i look however for call manager 8.5 it just shows 1 template and when i look under unity connections it doesn't have any.

the server i am loading will have
Call Manager - will need to be sized for 2-3000 users (initial install is 1200 phones)
unity connection
Call Center Express - less than 50 agents
Emergency Responder

I see templates for:

Call Manager and Call Center but none for the others

thanks for the help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

According to the CUC 8.5(1) release notes, you still use the vmv7.ova templates

Downloading a VMware OVA Template for a Connection 8.x Virtual Machine

Revised December 8, 2010

A VMware OVA template is not required to configure VMware for Connection, but templates are provided to simplify the process of configuring VMware for Connection. If you want to deploy the VMware OVA template for Connection, do the following procedure to download the applicable file.

To Download a VMware OVA Template for a Connection 8.x Virtual Machine

Step 1 Sign in to a computer with a high-speed Internet connection, and go to the Voice and Unified Communications Downloads page at http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/Redirect.x?mdfid=278875240.

Note To access the software download page, you must be signed in to Cisco.com as a registered user.

Step 2 In the tree control on the Downloads page, expand Unified Communications Applications > Voice Mail and Unified Messaging > Cisco Unity Connection, and select Cisco Unity Connection Virtualization.

Step 3 On the Select a Release page, select OVA, and the download links appear on the right side of the page.

Step 4 Confirm that the computer you are using has sufficient hard-disk space for the downloaded files. (The download file sizes appear below the download links.)

Step 5 Select the applicable link:

CUC_500_user_v_vmv7.ova

For up to 500 Connection users.

Configures one virtual CPU, 2 GB RAM, and one 160-GB virtual disk with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

CUC_1000_user_v_vmv7.ova

For up to 1,000 Connection users.

Configures one virtual CPU, 4 GB RAM, and one 160-GB virtual disk with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

CUC_5000_user_v_vmv7.ova

For up to 5,000 Connection users.

Configures two virtual CPUs, 4 GB RAM, and one 200-GB virtual disk with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

CUC_10000_user_v_vmv7.ova

For up to 10,000 Connection users.

Configures four virtual CPUs, 4 GB RAM, and two 146-GB virtual disks with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

CUC_20000_user_300GB_v1.0_vmv7.ova

CUC_20000_user_500GB_v1.0_vmv7.ova

For up to 20,000 Connection users.

Configures sever virtual CPUs, 8 GB RAM, and either two 300-GB virtual disks or two 500-GB virtual disks with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

Requires VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus.

Step 6 For the downloaded file, use a checksum generator to confirm that the MD5 checksum matches the checksum that is listed on Cisco.com. If the values do not match, the downloaded file is damaged.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/release/notes/851cucrn.html#wp656616

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization_Downloads_(including_OVA/OVF_Templates)#Cisco_Unity_Connection

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

According to the CUC 8.5(1) release notes, you still use the vmv7.ova templates

Downloading a VMware OVA Template for a Connection 8.x Virtual Machine

Revised December 8, 2010

A VMware OVA template is not required to configure VMware for Connection, but templates are provided to simplify the process of configuring VMware for Connection. If you want to deploy the VMware OVA template for Connection, do the following procedure to download the applicable file.

To Download a VMware OVA Template for a Connection 8.x Virtual Machine

Step 1 Sign in to a computer with a high-speed Internet connection, and go to the Voice and Unified Communications Downloads page at http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/pub/Redirect.x?mdfid=278875240.

Note To access the software download page, you must be signed in to Cisco.com as a registered user.

Step 2 In the tree control on the Downloads page, expand Unified Communications Applications > Voice Mail and Unified Messaging > Cisco Unity Connection, and select Cisco Unity Connection Virtualization.

Step 3 On the Select a Release page, select OVA, and the download links appear on the right side of the page.

Step 4 Confirm that the computer you are using has sufficient hard-disk space for the downloaded files. (The download file sizes appear below the download links.)

Step 5 Select the applicable link:

CUC_500_user_v_vmv7.ova

For up to 500 Connection users.

Configures one virtual CPU, 2 GB RAM, and one 160-GB virtual disk with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

CUC_1000_user_v_vmv7.ova

For up to 1,000 Connection users.

Configures one virtual CPU, 4 GB RAM, and one 160-GB virtual disk with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

CUC_5000_user_v_vmv7.ova

For up to 5,000 Connection users.

Configures two virtual CPUs, 4 GB RAM, and one 200-GB virtual disk with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

CUC_10000_user_v_vmv7.ova

For up to 10,000 Connection users.

Configures four virtual CPUs, 4 GB RAM, and two 146-GB virtual disks with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

CUC_20000_user_300GB_v1.0_vmv7.ova

CUC_20000_user_500GB_v1.0_vmv7.ova

For up to 20,000 Connection users.

Configures sever virtual CPUs, 8 GB RAM, and either two 300-GB virtual disks or two 500-GB virtual disks with the file system aligned at 64KB blocks.

Requires VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus.

Step 6 For the downloaded file, use a checksum generator to confirm that the MD5 checksum matches the checksum that is listed on Cisco.com. If the values do not match, the downloaded file is damaged.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/release/notes/851cucrn.html#wp656616

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization_Downloads_(including_OVA/OVF_Templates)#Cisco_Unity_Connection

Cheers!

Rob

thanks rob!

anything out there for Emergency Responder?

I found one on the call manager page but its a single file.  I could have sworn there used to be page like the one you sent for unity connection that was for call manager

All the OVAs (for all products) are in the last link Rob posted.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Unified_Communications_Virtualization_Downloads_%28including_OVA/OVF_Templates%29#Supported_Virtual_Machine_OVA_Templates

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thanks!

One more question!

When i look at ER it says to use CUCM 1000 users.  So i click on that link and it brings me to the call manager file but there is nothing mentioning 1000 users.  its just one template.

should i use that for the ER as well as call manager?

thanks!

It's been a while since I've looked at what files the links direct you to (last time there were still files per # of users), but an OVA can contain within the options you get during the import the options for that.

If there's only 1 file go thru the import OVA/OVF wizard and at some point you should get the option of the # of users and the template will change accordingly.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello All,

I found the templates.  However i am running into an issue.

the templates for Unity connection 5000 Users and Call Center Express 100 agents aren't working

I add them to the VM with no problem. However when i look under the resource properties there are no processors etc.

so when i boot the system it does nothing.  no bios check, no bootup

Anyone run into this issue?

my VMware templates for call manager work just fine.

I am using

CUC_5000_user_v1.0_vmv7.ova

and

UCCX_100_agents_v2.0_vmv7.ova

these are the latest i see on cisco's page

will be running version 8.5 of both connections and call center.

I found a resolution to this issue.

there is a bug with certain OVA templates that are not setup properly.

when you start the VM after loading the OVA it looks like nothing is working.

what is actually happening is the machine is trying to boot off the Harddrive instead of the cd-rom by default

to fix, just go into BIOS first on that vmware and set to boot off cd.

then the unity connection and call center express ova work fine

Hi,

Thanks so much for posting up your resolution here +5

This will surely help someone else moving forward!

Cheers!

Rob

Just one comment.  in my experience these steps mentioned need to be performed everytime you want to boot off a DVD.  Rather it does not appear to be a "set it and forget it"

my two cents.

HowYee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm having the same problem (almost).

I'm using CUC_1000_user_v1.0_vmv7.ova and UCSInstall_UCOS_8.5.1.10000-26.sgn.iso

The problem I'm having now is when I boot the system after deploy the ova file, nothing happen, no bios check, no bootup, even I set to boot off the cd. "No bootable devices was detected" (from vmware). The md5 checksum for both files are the correct. Any ideas?

Thanks & regards,

HowYee

Hi

Does anybody know if there is a speciffic OVA template for Unity Connection 8.6 for ESXi 5.0 or later I suspect the name would be CUC_8.6.2_vmv8_v1.5.ova or can we use the ESXi 4.1 template CUC_8.6.2_vmv7_v1.5.ova for ESXi 5.0

or even the connection  version 9 template for ESXi 5.0 and install Connection 8.6

thanks

Jamie

For 8.6 I dont belive there are seperate OVA files for ESXi 4 and 5, it appears they have seperate ones for UCON 9.0. I would use those as they should work fine with UCON 8.6.

HTH,

Chris

Ok Chris thanks I will try using the UCON 9.0 ova template for ESXi 5 as there is no ESXi 5ova  templates for UCON 8.6

thanks

Jamie