cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice gateway IOS upgrade for CUBE migration and license requirement

LibinBenedict
Level 1
Level 1

I am planning to upgrade our ISR 4431 voice gateways from IOS 16.3.6 to 17.3.3 or above for CUBE version 14 as we are migrating from ISDN to SIP trunk.
The gateway currently has the AdvUCSuiteK9 package which also includes cube feature (attached)

We will also procure the CUBE trunk session licenses to support the calls/sessions.

1. After upgrading, does the cube feature also get upgraded, or do we need to purchase a new cube feature license for smart licensing?
2. Will it work if I only have the trunk sessions added to CSSM (CUBE14-T-STD)?
3. CUBE14 datasheet mentions that transrating requires DSP resources. The provider supports g711alaw. Do we need to use the DSP resources from PVDM for converting it to g711ulaw or we can use the IOS software/hardware MTP to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Libin Benedict

4 Replies 4

AFAIK there is no actual feature license for CUBE. For normal SBC operations you’ll have trunk licenses. For other use cases there are other types of licenses. What you ask for in q 3 is not transrating, it’s transcoding. For this you’ll need to use DSP resources.

Response Signature

Hi Roger, thanks for the response.

For Q3, can we invoke the MTP from CUCM IPVMS in the SIP trunk to convert the g711alaw received from the ITSP to g711ulaw and also while sending the call out to the ITSP?

Is DSP on the router mandatory for this transcoding?

Or is there any transcoding required at all since we CUCM will understand both ulaw and alaw? Correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks and regards,

Libin Benedict

1. After upgrading, does the cube feature also get upgraded, or do we need to purchase a new cube feature license for smart licensing?

AFAIK There is no cube feature license. If you have some existing cube licenses, I recommend to open a licensing ticket and check with TAC if they can migrate to 14.

Response Signature

Thanks for the advice, Nithin.

We do not have any cube trunk licenses at all on the router to migrate, only the feature license part of AdvUCSuiteK9.

Thanks and regards,

Libin Benedict