cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

voice traffic asymmetric routing

hmc250000
Level 1
Level 1

Can voice traffic handle asymmetric routing? Can any issue arise when the outbound path is different from the inbound? The voice provider is an online provider.

4 Replies 4

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Asymmetric routing in and of itself shouldn't be a problem. Isn't that the benefit of a packet switched network? Though, if you are not sending out of, or receiving on the correct interfaces, that would be a problem.

Take that with a grain of salt, I'm a CCIE Collab, not a CCIE R&S. ;)

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This can definitely lead to issues if there is longer latency on one path versus the other, and I would do everything doable to try to avoid it. Think about it this way, if outbound path takes 20 ms, but inbound 100 ms then the conversation gets little out of sync, and I have seen it happen.

So, if you had symmetric latency, but asymmetric routing, there would be no issues?

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Asymmetric routing can definitely be a problem as I have encountered myself. I did a wrong routing (redistribute EIGRP/BGP etc) with as result that one path was using the high bandwidth link and the return path was using a backup DSL link. People noticed that one party could hear perfect with good quality, but the other party had voice interuptions

Try to avoid asymmetric routing

My 2 cents

JH