cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the difference between a Cisco Phone's Config File and its Firmware?

TariqMK
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I can make out, the firmware is quite simply the software it runs, pretty much like any device nowadays. However I cant put my finger on what exactly the purpose of the Config File is.

Is anyone able to help me clarify this concept?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Georgios Fotiadis
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are correct, the firmware is the software the phone runs. The configuration file has all the settings needed by the IP phone to operate with a specific IP PBX.

Georgios
Please rate if you find this helpful.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Georgios Fotiadis
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are correct, the firmware is the software the phone runs. The configuration file has all the settings needed by the IP phone to operate with a specific IP PBX.

Georgios

Great, thank you.

Seeing as this is the case, when a phone boots up and receives Option 150 from the DHCP Server, it has the addresses of the Call Manager (TFTP Server).

Does it now pull the Config File? What about the Firmware?

My understanding is that the Phone has Firmware pre-loaded from the factory which it will use unless the Config File specifies otherwise.

If the Config File does specify for the Phone to use other Firmware, then the Phone will pull this from the same TFTP server.

Is this correct?

Lastly, what sort of information does the Config File hold exactly?

You are correct about the firmware upgrade decision.

Some of the info it contains is CUCM IP address, date/time settings, firmware version, language, XML service URLs etc...

Georgios

Brilliant, just the information/confirmation I was looking for - thank you!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: