cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

why do we use the "standard local route group" in cucm?

eigrpy
Level 4
Level 4

Hi In configuring route list in CUCM, I notice we need to configure "standard local route group" I search info of it and I got the blow info. Usually the chain is route pattern --- route list --- route group --- gateway.  I cannot understand why we use the "standard local route group". Anyone can help me to understand it? 

The standard local route group is a new call-routing element that always appears in the list of available route groups that can be added to a route list

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The Local Route Group feature helps reduce the complexity and maintenance efforts of provisioning in a centralized Cisco Unified Communications Manager deployment that uses a large number of locations. The fundamental breakthrough in the Local Route Group feature comprises decoupling the location of a PSTN gateway from the route patterns that are used to access the gateway.

The Local Route Group feature provides the ability to reduce the number of route lists and route patterns that need to be provisioned for implementations of Cisco Unified Communications Manager where each of N sites needs to have access to the local gateways of the other N-1 remote sites. One such scenario occurs with Tail End Hop Off (TEHO).

For details please check the following

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_1_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_C3E0EFA0_00_cucm-features-services-guide-91/CUCM_BK_C3E0EFA0_00_cucm-features-services-guide-91_chapter_0100101.html

Manish

View solution in original post

Hi,

Standard local route group is the definition in route group list.

Local route group is the definition on device pool but is the same thing.

There is only one local route group and is named standard local route group 

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The Local Route Group feature helps reduce the complexity and maintenance efforts of provisioning in a centralized Cisco Unified Communications Manager deployment that uses a large number of locations. The fundamental breakthrough in the Local Route Group feature comprises decoupling the location of a PSTN gateway from the route patterns that are used to access the gateway.

The Local Route Group feature provides the ability to reduce the number of route lists and route patterns that need to be provisioned for implementations of Cisco Unified Communications Manager where each of N sites needs to have access to the local gateways of the other N-1 remote sites. One such scenario occurs with Tail End Hop Off (TEHO).

For details please check the following

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/9_1_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_C3E0EFA0_00_cucm-features-services-guide-91/CUCM_BK_C3E0EFA0_00_cucm-features-services-guide-91_chapter_0100101.html

Manish

"standard local route group" seems to be produced automatically when creating route list. What would happen without using standard local route group?

Yes, the Standard local route group is available by default. It is not mandatory to be used. If you do not want to use it then just use the Route group that you want created for a particular route list or route pattern.

Manish

Thank you for your answer. what is difference between "standard local route group" and "local route group" ? Why the cucm create the "standard local route group" automatically

Hi,

Standard local route group is the definition in route group list.

Local route group is the definition on device pool but is the same thing.

There is only one local route group and is named standard local route group 

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Excellent explanation. Thank you

Very well explained, it helps to understand difference between  Standard Local route group,  local route Group and Route list.

I understand below: 

Standard Local Route Group:  It is by default created which we can add to route list if we  want to use this feature.

Route Group:  Group of device (Gateways, Trunks) which we can add to Route list.

Route List: we defines it in Device pool, from where system route call  with specific route group / or Standard local route group.

Thanks.

The feature itself that allows you to customize how your Route list route calls based on local device is called local route group.

The way you configure it uses standard local route group within the route list and local route group in the device pool.

Please rate all useful posts

Yes the explanation given by Deji is better then mine ;)

+5 as usual D.

Carlo

Do Local Route Groups work for inbound sip trunks or only devices initiating a call from cucm for outbound calling?  I thought the inbound css was what controlled the patterns the trunk could reach as well as manipulation of calls inbound.  Even though the sip trunk has a device pool assigned, does it use it for call routing for inbound calls. Thanks and look forward to your response. 

A few different things.

• First of your question is off topic to the OP question
  • This post is marked as solved 
  • It is a post that has not seen any update in a few years

It would be advisable for you to create your own post to ask your question.

Response Signature

I know the post was resolved and know about local route groups and their
operation from an endpoint perspective. However, just wanted to know if it
worked from a sip trunk perspective. I was told it does but never seen it
within any document unless I over looked it.

Still your question is off topic to the OP. But that aside. Yes SLRG can be used for SIP trunks, but it does not mean that it doesn't use inbound CSS to find whatever it can use to route the calls. SLRG is on another level than what you'll find in the CSS, if a route pattern is put into a partition that is visible in the inbound CSS and the RL used on the RP uses SLRG it would look at the DP of the trunk for what RG to use.

Response Signature

Thanks. That is all I was looking for and yes concur about the css and
patterns, route list, etc.

Thank you once again. I just never used it in that fashion before.