Views
Helpful
Replies

Datacenter DCI Using EoMPLS

etiennevella
Level 1
Level 1

Good Evening,

I'm trying to setup MPLS across two datacenters, to avoid extending direct Layer 2 to avoid STP loops, but i've ran into an issue if the vlan terminates IP wise on one of the devices as xconnect cannot be configured on an interface with IP address.  I'm attaching a simple diagram of what i'm trying to accomplish maybe someone could help. 

Example.PNG

Basically as an example i'm placing two firewalls and Active one and Standby One which should have vlan 100 and vlan 200 tagged. Now vlan 100 is terminated directly on and Vlan 200 is terminated directly on Cat65 02.  The target is to have vlan extension on both sites whilst having IP connectivity to both routers. 

I'm running CAT65 SUP720 10GE MSFC3 IOS s72033-adventerprisek9-mz.151-2.SY13

3 Replies 3

Elvin Arias Soto
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You can use many technologies to meet this requirement. Examples of these are:

L2TPv3
VPWS.
VPLS.
EVPN-VPWS.
EVPN.

You need to validate what is supported on your platform, most likely this platform supports regular xconnects (VPWS) and L2TPv3.

Check your platform + version and validate this on cisco.com.

Regards,

Elvin

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7
It looks like that you need more then odinary EoMPLS.... Try VPLS

asiergd
Level 1
Level 1
Hi etiennevella,
Elvin indicated practically all solutions.
As there is LDP between Cat6500 I will try EoMPLS.
Remember that all L2 frame will be encapsulated, thus MTU between Cat6500 must meet that requierement, 1500+L2 header+MPLS label(s). I indicate labels because if there is a backup path throught another path than directly connected link between Cat6500, that path perhaps will use more than 1 label.
If MTU is a problem L2TPv3 can be used to avoid it, even though do not fragment is on, but the cost is that fragmentation does not done in hardware in most platforms, I do not recommend it.
Regards
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: