Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Full Routing Table : label-allocation-mode per-vrf vs per-ce NCS5500

What will be the recommended label-allocation-mode   for a network with three NCS55A2 peering with other ISP getting full routes from the Internet (898752 total router).  The default is label allocation per prefix, but when I peer with another provider. I was getting a lot of these messages: See also attached file.   I changed it to label-allocation-mode per VRF, and the logs when away.  My question is what's the recommended setting in this type of scenario?  My understanding is that the NCS55A2 is running out of local labels and that's why it's can allocate a label per prefix.  I thought about extending the local label range from local-block 15000 15999  to local-block 15000 15999 to local-block 15000 1048575, and that should be enough for all prefixes. Or I can change the label-allocation-mode to per CE, and every prefix will get the same label per vrf  per CE. but I don't  know the recommended mode. Advice?

ipv4_rib[1260]: %L2-GRID-4-BANK_FULL : GRID POOL:GLIF(2), BANK 1 FULL. Max size 178128, Curr RIDs 178127.

16:11:02.869 § LC/0/0/CPU0:Jan 13 16:07:35.873 EST: fib_mgr[184]: %PLATFORM-PLAT_FIB-3-HW_PROG_ERROR : HW Programming failed for table,ipnhgroup,key,0xe303d40000e620,unit,0,dpa_trans_id,1945286,failure-reason,NoResrc
16:11:02.870 § LC/0/0/CPU0:Jan 13 16:07:35.876 EST: fib_mgr[184]: ti queue ext 218 Failed to create queue-ext for object for object:[ref:1 count:1 depth:2 ldi:0x3145005098 ext:0x30e50da1e8 type:Encap-shared flags:[mpls ext, recursive, imp, pd shared] flags2:[] extn_flags:[] intn_flags:[orig-pd-share] timestamp:Jan 13 16:07:35.872]

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@DanielGutierrez615 ,

"per-vrf" and "per-ce" are generally recommended over "per-prefix", just because of the sheer number of labels required in this scenario. "per-vrf" incurs an additional lookup, which may have a performance impact on the NCS55A2, so I would definitely recommend "per-ce".

You may also refer to this excellent document for more information:

https://xrdocs.io/ncs5500/tutorials/ncs5500-routing-in-vrf/

Regards, 

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@DanielGutierrez615 ,

"per-vrf" and "per-ce" are generally recommended over "per-prefix", just because of the sheer number of labels required in this scenario. "per-vrf" incurs an additional lookup, which may have a performance impact on the NCS55A2, so I would definitely recommend "per-ce".

You may also refer to this excellent document for more information:

Regards, 

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Weird question incoming.

How does the router know what a CE router is in per-ce label allocation mode?

Thank you!!. 

You are very welcome @DanielGutierrez615 . Have a great day

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

gixohe9689
Level 1
Level 1

The "label-allocation-mode" is a configuration command in NCS5500 that determines how MPLS labels are assigned.

In "per-vrf" mode, a unique label is assigned to each VRF (Virtual Routing and Forwarding) instance within the network.

In "per-ce" mode, a unique label is assigned to each Customer Edge (CE) device.

The choice of mode depends on the specific requirements of the network and the services it provides. The "per-vrf" mode is more flexible, as it allows for the creation of multiple VRFs, each with its own label space. The "per-ce" mode is simpler and more scalable, as it reduces the number of labels needed for a given network.

ES File Explorer is a popular file manager app for Android devices that allows users to manage and organize their files, including documents, media files, and downloads. It also has additional features such as a task manager, FTP client, and cloud storage integration

Totally understood the concept but can we have a more scenario specific example here, are we talking about CE and PE having multiple VRFs among them, where per VRF label allocations can be higher than the per CE based.
In case of CE1--- PE1 --- PE2 ---- CE2, per VRF makes more sense. Can you explain the per CE based scenario and how the PE router will make sure these prefixes belong to a certain CE if we have multiple VRFs among them?

Hi @abhsa ,

In case of CE1--- PE1 --- PE2 ---- CE2, per VRF makes more sense.

I am not sure why you say that per-vrf makes more sense in this specific scenario. In fact with only one CE, both modes allocate only one label regardless the number of routes coming from the CE.

With the per-vrf mode, the number of labels will never increase.

With the per-ce mode, the number of labels increases by 1 each time you add an additional CE within the same VRF. If you have multiple VRFs between the PE and the CE, you have one label assigned for each CE for each VRF. In order words, if you have n VRFs between the PE and the CE, you would have n labels allocated by the PE.

Please refer to the following document for more information on the different label allocation modes:

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600