Helpful
Replies

How to set Router-ID in IS-IS ?

Toomaj Zanguee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys ,

How to set Router-ID in IS-IS ?

I am going to Use IS-IS in MPLS SP Network and my IGP is IS-IS .

I want to know How to set Router-ID in IS-IS ?

Thanks .          

3 Replies 3

Mohammed Imran Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Gabriel,

ISIS is an OSI protocol. It is accessed directly at data link layer. Router ID cannot be defined in isis. ISIS use system ID.

ISIS routers need to be assigned OSI addresses, which they use as a Router ID to create network structure.

For eg: for an Network Entity Title (NET) 49.001a.1122.3344.5566.00, The area is 49.001a. The router's system ID is 1122.3344.5566. The easiest way to figure this out is to start from the right and work towards the left. The last two numbers of the NET are the NSEL; they are always 00 on a router. The next 12 numbers (separated into 3 groups of 4 numbers) are the system ID. On Cisco routers, the system ID is always this length—6 bytes. Anything to the left of the system ID is the area ID.

Regards,

Imran

thanks for your time .

so how to set router-id in Service providers NW routers , as you know if we do not need to monitor the p routers in MPLS VPN network( IGP :ISIS ) we will not run BGP on the P routers so how to configure ( Hard Code )router-id on them ?

?

As said, You dont configure a router-id directly. Its done via the NET command..

Ie:49.0001.1111.2222.3333.00

Imran has pointed this out?

If you already run IS-IS then use the same format you already have?

-Graham
Please note: My comments are simply suggestions. I cannot be held liable for any loss of data, life or marbles due to following my instructions.

Live chat software for websites. Increase sales.

-Graham
Please note: My comments are simply suggestions. I cannot be held liable for any loss of data, life or marbles due to following my instructions.

Got a website? Need some live chat software?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: