Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS MPLS VRFs

Jordi Benet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

we are creating a new  MPLS cloud with the following VRFs: VRF- Voice, VRF- Data and VRF - Citrix.

My question is: is VRF traffic indepedent from other VRFs (talking about QoS) or I have to request to my MPLS provider to apply QoS?

I would like to have 3 Levels of QoS: Voice, Citrix and Data (that matches with the VRFs).

So it is QoS needed on the MPLS Provider side to increase my traffic performance for voice and Citrix?

Thank you very much for your help.

Jordi

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ask your provider how you need to mark the voice traffic to prioritize it in their MPLS cloud.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

View solution in original post

Yes VRFs has nothing to do with QoS.

Vivek Ruhil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jordi

You will need to have QOS configured for all the VRFs separately because of two main reasons:

1. Creating a VRF doesn't guarantee that you will get priority.

2. After the traffic enters the Service Provider backbone its all MPLS traffic and many customers share the same backbone, so to have an effective treatment of your traffic you will need to define proper QOS.

Regads

Vivek

vinothk
Level 1
Level 1

Agree with lion man that QoS and VRF are different things. However some providers, especially the old one which are legacy cannot support multiple QoS priorities within the same VPN and hence would ask for one VRF per QoS group. We had some Nortel boxes as PEs and configured one PVC per service.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

6 Replies 6

Ask your provider how you need to mark the voice traffic to prioritize it in their MPLS cloud.

Jordi Benet
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, Thanks for the answer, so you confirm I must Apply QoS éven the traffic is already separated by different VRFS.

Thanks,

Jordi

Yes VRFs has nothing to do with QoS.

Vivek Ruhil
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jordi

You will need to have QOS configured for all the VRFs separately because of two main reasons:

1. Creating a VRF doesn't guarantee that you will get priority.

2. After the traffic enters the Service Provider backbone its all MPLS traffic and many customers share the same backbone, so to have an effective treatment of your traffic you will need to define proper QOS.

Regads

Vivek

vinothk
Level 1
Level 1

Agree with lion man that QoS and VRF are different things. However some providers, especially the old one which are legacy cannot support multiple QoS priorities within the same VPN and hence would ask for one VRF per QoS group. We had some Nortel boxes as PEs and configured one PVC per service.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for the answers.

I will contact my SP.

Have a great week.

Regards,

Jordi