Replies

service instance q-in-q for xconnect

eicc30000
Level 1
Level 1

Topology:

ce1---- g0/1 PE1 ---- PE2 g2/2---- Switch---- ce2 and other CE's

1.1.1.1          2.2.2.2

Ive never done service instances, so considering the above topology, how can i use service instance to xconnect one of gig2/2 vlans on PE2 to CE1. after reading a couple of examples, this is what i came up with, id appreciate any input on service instance and a correction of my attempt below.

PE1:

int gig0/1.20

encapsulation dot1q 20

xconnect 2.2.2.2 123 encapsulation mpls

PE2:

int gig2/2

switchport

switchport mode trunk

service instance 123

encapsulation dot1q 20 second-dot1q any
               rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
               xconnect 1.1.1.1 123 encapsulation mpls

Thanks

Glen

7 Replies 7

Yasir Ashfaque
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i dont think there is a need to make the port as Trunk or Switchport, following configuration will work fine, assuming that CE2 has been tagged with vlan 20.

int gig2/2

service instance 123 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 20
rewrite ingress tag pop 1 symmetric
xconnect 1.1.1.1 123 encapsulation mpls

but i have other CE's connected to that switch and tagged with other vlans? can't i keep the trunk for the other vlans tagged and used for other purposes as well?

Yes, for each CE you will make one service instance.

yes, but could you please answer if creating service instances would deny other vlans from flowing through my trunk port. im not intending to remove the trunk port, there are other vlans that still need to flow throughout other parts of the network, not necessarily xconnect CE's.

so my question is: does creating service instances disable trunking of the interface? if answer is yes, how can i keep the other traffic coming out this port tagged, while tunnelling particular vlans.

thanks

Glen

In this scenario you dont need service instances, you can simply put the xconnect on SVI interfaces, but you need to verify if your Supervisor supports Xconnect on SVI interfaces. i Believe it should be minimum 3BXL.

Yasir

i cant do it on SVI's since my Wan blade is not core facing, TAC said i could still use the WAN blade capabilities through service instances.

so question remains, how could i still keep my trunk and use service instances at the same time!

thanks for baring with me

- Glen

I dint get your point as core facing blade, if you have not enabled MPLS on your blade, Service Instance will not work either.