cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS - LMS with Cisco experts Svetlana Radzevich and Geert Cober

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to install, maintain, operate and troubleshoot CiscoWorks LAN Management solution with Cisco experts Svetlana Radzevich and Geert Cober. Svetlana has been a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in the Network Management team for five years. She holds a bachelor's degree in computer science from Tomsk Polytechnical University, Russia, and a master's degree in computer science from Saarland University, Germany. Geert is also a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center. He currently works in the Network Management team, supporting customers on the Cisco LAN Management Solution (LMS), Cisco Unified Operations Manager, Cisco Network Analysis Module, Simple Network Management Protocol, and Cisco IOS IP Service Level Agreements technology. He has 10 years experience in troubleshooting Cisco LMS and has delivered multiple sessions on deploying and troubleshooting Cisco LMS at Cisco Live.

Remember to use the rating system to let   know if you have received an adequate response.

Geert and Svetlana might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Management discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through April 8, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

95 Replies 95

Hi Alkabeer,

usually before deployment netconfig job runs sync archive. So one way to roll-back your changes is to restore those sync archives. But I think the fastest way is to create a new Netconfig job (for 1000 devices) which will remove configured ACL.

Svetlana

Hi Experts,

yesterday I updated my Installtion with the new Service Pack, now running LMS3.2.1, Campus Manager 5.2.2, Common Services 3.3.1, RME4.3.2.

Now I've got 2 Problems:

1.  Device Center Summary is emtpy. Please have a look at Screenshot attached (CW-DevCenter-Empty.png)

This is for all Devices, about 1200.

Already tried with no success: Deleted Device in Device Manager, readded manually, run Update Inventory, run Sync Archive,

a scheduled Device Discovery Job finished yesterday with success.

For Example, Cisco View and View Config are working for the Devices without a problem.

2.  Errors in UT

Going to Campus User Tracking > Administration > Aquisition brings up a PopUp with Error Message:

"Error in loading Properties from the Server". See attached Screenshot (CW-UT-Acq-Error1.png)

Same PopUp comes up when clicking on "Schedule Aquisition".

Error Message when clicking on "Ping Sweep": 

Problem with File /WEB-INF/screens/ut/Discovery_Settings_Ping.jsp!!!Exception in JSP: /WEB-INF/screens/ut/Discovery_Settings_Ping.jsp:14 11: String contextPath = request.getContextPath(); 12: UTAdminDiscoveryPingSweepFB myBean = (UTAdminDiscoveryPingSweepFB)(session.getAttribute("utAdminDiscoveryPingSweepFB")); 13: %> 14: 15: 16:

Error when clicking on "Configure Subnet Aquisition":

Problem with File /WEB-INF/screens/ut/Discovery_Settings_Subnet.jsp!!!Exception in JSP: /WEB-INF/screens/ut/Discovery_Settings_Subnet.jsp:12 9: 12: 13: 14:

"Delete Interval" and "Configure Trunk for End Hosts Discovery" are loading without Erros.

Thanks for any Help,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Do these problems persist after a restart of the Daemon Manager? We have seen some cases where the automatic restart that is triggered during the upgrade fails because some of the LMS processes are not stopping correctly. First stop the Daemon Manager. Then make sure that there are no more LMS processes (processes owned by casuser, cwjava, dbsrv10, sm_server, etc) running. Then restart the Daemon Manager.

If this does not resolve the problem, open Device Center again and check the following log:

CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/logs/stdout.log

Device Center opens a separate http connection to the server when it displays the Device Center Summary, so the stdout.log should show what is going wrong.

For the UserTracking error, try a reset of the Campus Manager and UserTracking database:

# net stop crmdmgtd

# cd CSCOpx\campus\bin

# perl reinitdb.pl -restore

# net start crmdmgtd

Please note that the reinitdb.pl will also reset the maps, so you will lose any changes you have made to the topology maps.

Also check the following properties files:

CSCOpx\campus\etc\cwsi\ANIServer.properties

CSCOpx\campus\etc\cwsi\ut.properties

You can use the .orig versions of these files as a guide for what they should look like.

Geert

Hi Geert and Experts,

1. Device Center Summary is working

But I don't know why it's working again. I had restartet the Deamon Manager and even the OS after the Upgrade, in fact two times, and the Device Center Summary didn't work after the restarts.

I've found some errors in the "CSCOpx/MDC/tomcat/logs/stdout.log" which are gone now.

You can find the old errors in the attached file if you are interested in it (stdout.log-OLD-2Excerpt.txt)

Maybe the solving is related to the reset of the Campus Manager and UserTracking database?

2. User Tracking Errors are gone

Did the reset of the Campus Manager and UserTracking Database as you wrote, errors were vanished then.

I started afterwards a successful Campus Data Collection, the User Tracking Aquisition is running now. Ah, just finished also successfully!

Thanks and regards from Germany,

Thomas

Michal_Kepien
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have one more question regarding LMS 4.0, specifically the "Live - Graph It" function. I want to view live utilization statistics for a specific interface on a Cisco 3560 switch. The problem is I can't find my interface on the list provided by the "Available Instances" dropdown list. What determines which interfaces are present in that list? I can see a Tu4 interface, which has only a "no ip address" command configured, but I can't see e.g. any trunk interfaces.

Hi Michal,

Live Graph It only monitors the interfaces that instantiated in the ifTable and have an  ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus that are up. To check if the device is populating the ifTable correctly, go to Device Center, select the device and perform an snmpwalk on the following OID:

The ifDescr should be correct, and the ifOperStatus and ifAdminStatus should be 1.

If the MIB is correct, check the upm_process.log and HUMLivegraph.log from CSCOpx\log. Search for "Instance: from device: " to find the relevant logs.

Geert

mario55555
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, all!

Can you help me?

Problem with IPM ver 4.* :

There are the Unactive radio buttons for "Source Device" in IPM Device Collector .  I can't choose neither device (neither "All Device", neither "User Defined Group" etc), but for "Target Device" it's OK! I can choose either device! I have performed device import from DCR to IPM, doing Auto/Manual Allocation.

I need help!!

Hi Timur,

on a source device, IPM puts collector's configuration. Therefore, a source device should have Read-Write snmp community specified in LMS. Please add RW snmp credentials for some of your devices and you will be able to see them as source in IPM.

Svetlana

Steve Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Can LMS 4.0 upgrade the WLSE system software from 2.13 to 2.15?

I notice that we configure snmp setting when creating a credential set and we also have to create one when we are configuring discovery settings. Which read only snmp community does lms use when discovering a device? The RO community string in the credential set or the ro from the discovery settings?

Hi Steve,

LMS does not support software management for the WLSE devices. LMS only supports Topology Services for WLSE. Here is a list of supported features:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.0/device_support/table/lms40sdt.html#WLSE%20Devices

The LMS uses the community strings that are configured in Inventory> Device Administration> Discovery> Settings> SNMP Settings when discovering the devices.

Geert

Akhtar Samo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Geert,

Configuration archival is failing on LMS 2.6 and we are getting following error (snapshot attached).

Protocol------>unknown/Not applicable

unable to get results of job execution for device. Retry the job after increasing the job result wait time using the
option: Resource Manager Essentials-Admin--Config Mgmt--Archive Mgmt--Fetch Settings

The symptom is related to CSCsv95235 i think. Is it possible to get the patch to overcome the problem permanently.

Regards,

Akhtar

Hi Akhtar,

is the problem fixed if you use workaround? In order to get the patch you should open a TAC case, we are not authorised to provide any patch on the forum.

Svetlana

Hello, could you please help me to understand the DFM environment thresholds?

At various times over the years I have come across persistent alerts for voltage or temperature events. After misunderstanding them and not being able to control them in the past have ended up just turning them off.

Now we have some newly installed Nexus switches and most of them are alerting for temperature, e.g.

Event_Description OutOfRange
   Component TEMP-devicename/100021593 [Fex-100 Module-1 Die-1-Fex-100 Module-1 Die-1]
   ComponentClass TemperatureSensor
   ComponentEventCode 1079
   Status OK
   entSensorValue 46
   CurrentValue 46.0 DEGC
   RelativeTemperatureThreshold 10.0 %
   HighThreshold 45.0 DEGC

I don't understand how this works as the current value 46 is within 10% of the threshold of 45? Or does it need to be NOT within 10% of the threshold?

How are the thresholds calculated and how does the adjustment work?
Thanks for your help.

Hi Graeme,

The entSensorValue and CurrentValue show the current temperature value, not the temperature value that was there when the event was triggered. So although DFM is showing 46.0 DEGC now, the temperature was probably higher at the time when the event was triggered.

The older versions of DFM had a max possible threshold value of 50, although the major threshold on the nexus platform can be over 100 (you can check the threshold with the output of a 'sh ver' on the nexus cli). The following defect was opened agains this:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCta18610

This defect was resolved in LMS 3.2 SP1, LMS 4.0 and later.

Geert

Geert,  I forgot to give basic info of which version and it is 3.2 so I will look into getting SP1 applied. Thankyou!

Just so I'm clear on this...

I presume you meant the "sh environment temperature" command.

In the above command's cli output should the "MinorThresh" value equate to the DFM "HighThreshold"? Mine don't but that may be a result of the bug you mentioned.  If this is not the case where does the DFM "HighThreshold" come from?

How does adjusting the DFM Threshold Parameter "Relative temperature threshold" as a % apply to these values to create a trigger point?

Thanks again for taking the time to help with this. Rgds, Graeme

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: