cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Works RME Database

scbbni
Level 1
Level 1

I’m having problems permanently deleting old devices from the RME database.

Last month I changed the IP addresses of 11 Cisco switches on my network. I deleted the old devices out of Cisco Works RME Database (RME Database – Admin – Inventory – Delete Devices) and added the new IP addresses (RME Database – Admin – Inventory – Add Devices).

Three days later I had to delete another device out of the RME database. Upon doing so I discovered all 11 of the devices were reporting as unresponsive under the “Add/Import Status Summary.” I deleted the devices again. A week later while performing more cleanup I discovered that the devices were again reporting as unresponsive.

Has anyone else had this problem and how do I fix it?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

nhabib
Level 9
Level 9

What version of RME is this?

CiscoWorks Common Services with SP2 2.2

Campus Manager 3.3

Device Fault Manager 1.2

Resource Manager Essentials 3.5

RME Incremental Device Support 3.5

A couple of things that come to mind:

- when you delete the devices, RME puts them in Suspended mode. You need to go in and remove them completely

- could it be that the devices are in Campus Manager and you have Device Synchronization enabled (under Server Config -> Setup -> ANI Server Admin)?

Yes, I deleted the devices after RME put them in suspended state.

The devices are set up to synchronize to/from Essentials. If the devices are in "Campus Manger" how would I know and how would I remove them from the database.

Also, in "Server Configuration (Server Configuration, Setup, ANI Server Admin, Discovery Settings) I discovered that the last administrator set up all of the old devices that were deleted as seed devices. I removed the old entries about an hour ago and added the new IP addresses. Could this be contributing to my problem?

Possibly a long shot but depending on how you added the devices originally, dns could be causing a problem if not updating correctly. Or the hosts file on either your solaris / windows box? If static entries, they may need updating.

Nick

None of our routers or switches is registered in DNS. I deleted the devices yesterday afternoon. This morning they were all back in "Not Responding Devices."

What IDU's do you have installed?

as mentioned earlier, you have the old addressess in CM. daily sync brings them back to RME. Get rid of the devices from CM first.. go to aniserver.prop file and search for the addressess to delete from the seedfile. then stop and start CW. u may have to delete them from CM (use topology browser to do so.. u cannot delete while a discovery is going on)

habeebk
Level 1
Level 1

HI

Make sure that new IP addresses are part of IP ranges defined in the ANI discovery settings,

Server Config --> Setup --> ANI Server Admin --> discovery settings

B Rgds

Habeeb