Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks Backup is failing due to backup.lock file

lalit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I have a CiscoWorks Server running LMS 2.6 Version.The schedule backup is failing due to backup.lock file.I have deleted the lock file and restarted the backup and even after that backup is failing and due to backup.lock file.

I need your help to resolve this issue.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

11 Replies 11

Nael Mohammad
Level 5
Level 5

Please post the backup log from CSCOpx/log directory.

Hi Nael,

Please find the attached dbbackup.log file.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

Did you try deleting the lock file and then starting the backup? Did someone else start a backup or is there an automated backup running?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have deleted the backup.lock file but again it is creating automatically once the cisco works backup starts.It fails again saying the same error as "backup.lock file exists "

Sometime even i am unable to delete the backup.lock file as it says this file is used by another program.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

Where are you trying to backup the data to? Does casuser have full permissions to access this directory?

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply.

I am taking the backup to one of the drive on the same server and same hard disk created into partition.The casuser has full permission to this drive.The problem is, backup is running and it fails at certain point saying backup.lock file exists.

Yesterday i have deleted the backup.lock file and through schduled backup, the backup started at 9 PM and when i saw today morning the backup.lock file are created automatically in the same folder where the backup happenes.

I wanted to know why this backup.lock file are creating automatically even if i delete the file.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

backup.lock is generated to prevent 2 backup processes running at the same time;

could you please do the following:
stop dmgtd (net stop crmdmgtd)
in a DOS box go to
    NMSROOT\databases
where NMSROOT is the installation path (default: C:\Program Files\CSCOpx)
do a
    dir /S > c:\dir_LMSdatabases.txt
and post the file C:\dir_LMSdatabases.txt

perhaps one of the databases needs to be recoverd from transaction log;

again, delete the backup.lock file before starting dmgtd again;
start dmgtd (net start crmdmgtd)
when LMS is fully up and running, try to start a backup form cli; post the newly generated dbbackup.log;

C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin>perl C:\PROGRA~1\CSCOpx\bin\backup.pl D:\LMSbackup

keep in mind that casuser needs full access to D:\LMSbackup

==========

also,there was BugID CSCsm31861 with LMS 2.6 which is fixed in DFM 2.0.12; If you are below DFM 2.0.12 this COULD be the reason (but I do not believe as the Error code is different and your backup process does not seem to start the databases and file copy process)

which version of DFM do you have? (Common Services > Software Center > Software Update)
can you also post
    NMSROOT\objects\smarts\local\logs\DFM.log

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

As suggested by you i am not finding the LMSdatabases.txt file in the NMSROOT folder.I have stopped the crmdmgtd service and tried deleting the backup.lock file but i am unable to delete as it says the file is being used by another program.So i couldn't delete backup.lock file.

The casuser has full permission to the backup folder.There is no permission issue here.Backup was perfectly working earlier.

Below is the version details.

LMS 2.6

CiscoWorks Common Services 3.0.5

Device Fault Manager 2.0.9

RME 4.0.5

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

as I wrote, you will only find dir_LMSdatabases.txt if you have issued the following DOS command (with stopped crmdmgtd)
    dir /S > c:\dir_LMSdatabases.txt
OR
    dir C:\Progra~1\CSCOpx\databases /S > C:\dir_LMSdatabases.txt

(the file name is dir_LMSdatabases.txt not LMSdatabases.txt)

If crmdmgtd is stopped and you are unable to delete the backup.lock, you need to do the following:
1)on windows, go to "Start > Run" and enter
    services.msc
and click OK

2)in the window that opens go to the service "CiscoWorks Daemon Manger", right-click on it, go to "Properties" and set the "Startup Type" from "Automatic" to "Manual";
CHANGE ONLY THIS SERVICES!
3) close this window

4) reboot your server
5) now, you will be able to delete the backup.lock file

6) Set the service back form "Manual" to "Automatic"

7) If you have not produced the dir_LMSdatabases.txt file yet, do it now as described above.

8) start crmdmgtd with "net start crmdmgtd"
9) when LMS is fully up and running (wait 15-30 min) try to start a manual backup as described in my last posts;
10) if you get any errors, or have the same problem as with the scheduled backup post the error here and upload the actual dbbackup.log

Hi,

I have deleted the backup.lock file as given in the procedure below.After deleting the backup.lock file i have schedule the backup once again and i think it is failed or hanged at one point.I have seen the backup.lock is created once again in the same backup destination folder.

Please find the attched dbbackup.log and dir_LMSdatabases.txt file.Please let me know if you find any issues.

Thanks & Regds,

Lalit

can please post this log also:
    NMSROOT\objects\smarts\local\logs\DFM.log

I seems that you have problems with the dfmEpm database; Before doing the next steps I want to verfy one thing with the above log.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: