Views
Helpful
Replies

Diagnostic/Health Check on Older IOS 76XX Router

TrivialPants
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have an old 7600 router which is EOL, but still serves customers. Since the migration process to a newer device can be lengthy due to budget and space constraints as well as difficulty of getting maintenance windows for this work. I wanted to be sure there was not any physical hardware issue that I could glean from the device with CLI commands. 

I know some devices will show errors with a bit of probing. The general logging buffer does not show any errors, but perhaps there is a more advanced set of show commands or show hw-module error sort of commands that I could use to gather some info about that sort of thing?

Does anyone have examples or perhaps some resources about it?

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These device end of life, but one of the best in cisco router invention has very long long life(than new equipment we see in the market)

check Logs most of the time, (work offload logs to syslog, so you can monitor the Logs)

if you have NMS, use SNMP to monitor the device, since the device old, suggest to reload where you get maintenance window for better outcome.

last and least, Prepare for worst as standby solution ready, in case it stop breathing. (rather long outage) proactively get ready for Migration approach.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thank you @balaji.bandi, do you have any specific commands that you use to proactively check for issues. On some IOS xe devices, I am aware of the 'show logging onboard slot r0 hw_errors' command. Is there some sort of equivalent like this to look for errors that may be growing, but latent on this device?

ome IOS xe devices,

what version of code here, as per i know Cisco 76xx not going to run these IOS XE, they still support old IOS

or you looking any other new device here ?

BB

Thanks @balaji.bandi - I was just comparing the behavior of some other ios xe capable devices (ASR 920,9XX) etc. to see if there was a similar feature on the plain IOS that the 7600 runs.

IOS vs IOS XE some new command added (by saying basic features are carry forwarded from IOS and many latest requirements added to XE)

BB

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYIhttps://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/7600/ios/15S/configuration/guide/7600_15_0s_book/diags.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

if you have access to the Cisco CLI Analyzer (linked below) you can run 'show tech' and have the tool analyze the output. If you don't have access, save the output of 'show tech' to a .txt file and post it here.

https://cway.cisco.com/cli/

Thanks I will try this out as well as another option. I haven't downloaded this yet, but when I click on the link I get an 502 error. Can you or someone in the thread attempt to download it to see if there is a similar server error for them?

Are you referring to the link I posted ? It is not a download link, it is a link that gives you access to the tool, but you need to login with your CCO account.

As stated, if you don't manage to access the tool, save the output of 'show tech' to a txt file and post that file here.

Thanks for the help & offer. I was able to later get access to the tool after trying again after checking back.

Good to know. The results the tool produces can be a bit overwhelming. Let us know if you need more help.