cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing application on Desktop and servers in CML

twmoody
Level 1
Level 1

Kind of a lazy post here, studying for ENARSI so I don't want to go down a Linux or CML rabbit hole at this moment.  Hoping someone can give me a quick answer and some quick insight to how the desktop and servers work in CML.

First of all what do these come with by default?   I know there are basic tools, browser support.   I put the desktop in one of my projects networking, browser works fine.     Does it come with get-snmp or some client that works with v3, tftp server, ftp server. snmp management station.  I am assuming I can install packages for any servers that aren't available.   what are the limitations and the best way to accomplish that?

I know there is a feature where I can access the outside world with VMware.   Is it better putting that stuff on the Windows side of things  (I am more comfortable with that and have the simple tools I want).

There were some great emulations in Packet Tracer IE subsets of wireless lan controllers, Windows PC emulations, etc.   Are similar things available in CML?

Thanks for any help in advance.

1 Reply 1

twmoody
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone else that is new to CML especially the Server functionally here is what I found out (relearned!).   The Desktop Pc is Alpine Linux. There is a gui for basic functionally and contains programs also.   Most of the network management tools and external servers used with Cisco routers are available, usually installed at the command prompt.  You just to find the packages, usually off the Alpine site and configure them.     Using the external connector your servers can go to the internet and download packages.   

For those that are not that familiar with the Linux platform, configuration of the tools can be really easy to really tedious.  Some things like the AAA server I found needed to be configured in rather complex configuration files, so you had to really understand what is going on with encryption types, authentication types etc.  No check boxes that I could find a config file, start the process, troubleshoot if necessary. You have to understand the basics of UNIX file and Unix networking configuration.  I had to read the config files to learn how to get the servers up and running.    SNMP tools gets, walks, SSH, Timeservers, Syslog Servers, Python are all available.  Even Ansible is out there.  It just takes some time to find it and get it going.      Hope this helps someone in future.