Replies

LMS 4.2.1 Netconfig job CLI output empty

Ralf Kleineisel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have run a netconfig jobs in LMS 4.2.1 with these settings:

Task Details

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task: Adhoc

Commands
-------------
show interface status

Devices
-----------

switch-1

switch-2

switch-3

-----------------------------
Task: Adhoc

Commands
-------------
show version

Devices
-----------

switch-1

switch-2

switch-3

After running the job the "Device Details" of the jobs say "Successful Devices" for all three switches:

"Deploy successful (Primary Login Succeeded   / Primary Enable Succeeded  )"

For the devices switch-1 and switch-2 I get the desired output:

CLI Output

show interface status

Port      Name               Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type

Gi1/1     noz Gi2/17         connected    trunk        full   1000 1000BaseSX

Gi1/2                        notconnect   1            full   1000 1000BaseSX

Gi2/1                        notconnect   1            auto   auto 10/100/1000-TX

[...]

But for switch-3 the output is empty:

switch-3
*** Device Details for switch-3                          ***
Protocol ==>                             SSH
Device was successfully                             updated.

Template ==>                                  Adhoc_IOS

CLI Output

Template ==>                                  Adhoc_IOS

CLI Output

Any ideas why there is no output although the job is successful?

3 Replies 3

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You Seems to be using incorrect module of ciscoworks to do this. You are using NetConfig.

Netconfig is one of the Configuration Management applications, and it allows you to change the configuration of network devices, provided the configurations are archived. Netconfig automatically updates the archive when it changes the configuration. When you use it it will try to execute the commands to configure on device and would not be interested in collecting the output.

For show commands you should use the NetShow (Nwtwork Show) module. Network show (NetShow) commands represent a set of read-only commands. These are primarily, show commands that you can run on devices that are managed in LMS.

You can specify the commands that you want to group together and then run these commands on one or many devices. The output is displayed in a browser window.

For more details see the Using NetShow Commands section of Monitoring and Troubleshooting with Cisco Prime LAN Managmement Solution 4.2 guide.

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

You are right, I can use netshow.

But Netshow does not let me export the job result into a text file for further processing. In Netconfig I have the "Export to file" option which gives me one nice text file for all switches which I can process further. I haven't found this useful option for netshow jobs. This is a vital feature for analyzing the output from more than 350 switches.

Anyway, if I run a netconfig job (which may change configuration or not) and it does give output and it is successful, I should see it in the job output, shouldn't I?

Both switches are 4506E, by the way.

Yes i see even te netconfig job shows the output of the show version when successful :

Please check if the devices work fine when these commands are executed directly. Also, we can even export the job output to text on NetShow as well :

Please check if that works for you!

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: