cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration from Prime Infrastructure 3.4 to 3.9 or 3.10 - licenses?

I have a customer with PI 3.4 installed (ESXi VM).  They need to upgrade to a minimum of 3.8 to support some new hardware (C9500-24Y4C-A switches).  I have looked at the release notes for versions 3.4 thru 3.10 and can see a sort of path.  3.4 -> 3.5, 3.5 -> 3.7 and 3.7 -> 3.8.  If they want to go to 3.9 then they can't as it was initially built with 3.4 and won't work because of the underlying Red Hat 2.0 OS.

To go from 3.4 to 3.9 (or 3.10) they would need to upgrade from 3.4 -> 3.5, 3.5 -> 3.7 and do a backup.  Deploy a fresh 3.9 (or 3.10) PI instance and restore from the 3.7 backup.

What happens with licenses in this scenario?  Is it all Smart Licensing and therefore just a case of removing the old product instances on software.cisco.com and letting the new PI 3.9/10 server register and consume the released licenses?

The documentation for all versions 3.4 to 3.10 mentions license files, which surprised me a bit if its all Smart Licensing?

Any takers?

Andy

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use the below thread for upgrade 3.4 inline upgrade to 3.7 and fresh installation of 3.9 and restore appliance back of 3.7.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-management/prime-infrastructure-3-4-upgrade-and-eos/m-p/4459421

The documentation for all versions 3.4 to 3.10 mentions license files, which surprised me a bit if its all Smart Licensing?

3.9 you can use still old PAK License, but if you migrate to pak to smart License, i do not believe you can not revert.

but manual license still works until 3.9

(make sure you take the License backup)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card