Views
Helpful
Replies

Separate Wi-fi from wired LAN

ipo.peniel_rg
Level 1
Level 1

hi, Greetings.

I have a request here. I have a vlan that has wired users and wifi users. However, i would like to use a separate vlan for wi-fi users. Can you assist me how to do that?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

if you have both type of users in same VLAN, you can separate them to different VLANs. if you have WLC, you can configure new VLAN mapped to wireless SSID and use same VLAN in switches to transfer traffic between networks. if you have single AP, configure SSID VLAN to new VLAN and for network switches create the new VLAN to transfer traffic.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

markanderson
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Create the SSID2 for Guests and select the Isolate LAN option.
  2. Configure the WLAN Security Settings for SSID2.
  3. Go to Objects Setting >> Device Object. ...
  4. Select the Gateway Router's MAC then click OK. ...
  5. The Gateway Router's MAC has been created as a Device Object. Click index 1 to edit the profile.
  6. Enable Attribute: Gateway MAC in this object and click OK.

Gateway MAC option means this Device will have the ability to access any hosts in the Local Network.

After finishing the settings above, WiFi clients connected to the Guest SSID which enables the Isolate LAN option can only access the Internet and cannot access the other local computers even they are in the same LAN network.

if they use same VLAN then separate the subnet range in DHCP for wire and wireless 
if you want totally separate by using different VLAN, then you need to check the WLC VLAN-WLAN mapping use different vlan for wireless

8 Replies 8

Hi,

if you have both type of users in same VLAN, you can separate them to different VLANs. if you have WLC, you can configure new VLAN mapped to wireless SSID and use same VLAN in switches to transfer traffic between networks. if you have single AP, configure SSID VLAN to new VLAN and for network switches create the new VLAN to transfer traffic.

Good luck
KB

Hi, Kasun Bandara, thank you for responding. can you advise where to do what and how to do it?

markanderson
Level 1
Level 1
  1. Create the SSID2 for Guests and select the Isolate LAN option.
  2. Configure the WLAN Security Settings for SSID2.
  3. Go to Objects Setting >> Device Object. ...
  4. Select the Gateway Router's MAC then click OK. ...
  5. The Gateway Router's MAC has been created as a Device Object. Click index 1 to edit the profile.
  6. Enable Attribute: Gateway MAC in this object and click OK.

Gateway MAC option means this Device will have the ability to access any hosts in the Local Network.

After finishing the settings above, WiFi clients connected to the Guest SSID which enables the Isolate LAN option can only access the Internet and cannot access the other local computers even they are in the same LAN network.

hi, Thank you. this is however, not an issue with guest and lan users. both users are in the company-I just want to separate them. How can i do that? 

if they use same VLAN then separate the subnet range in DHCP for wire and wireless 
if you want totally separate by using different VLAN, then you need to check the WLC VLAN-WLAN mapping use different vlan for wireless

do you have a diagram of your network? how WLC connected and switches with APs? also models. with that details we can give some hints to configure

Good luck
KB

I have 7 Unifi APs with WLC connected to the core SWX with VLAN 36. All wired lans use Vlan 36 too. I wish to use a different vlan for the Wifi Users.

WLC is Unifi-connected to Cisco switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: