cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tftp problems

lni1
Level 1
Level 1

When I do a copy tftp:flash to my laptop, everything works fine, when I do a copy tftp:flash to our Unix system containing CW

I get the following message :

Address or name of remote host []? 10.2.5.200

Destination filename [vlan.dat]? tftpboot/vlan.dat

%Error opening tftp://10.2.5.200/tftpboot/vlan.dat (Timed out)

What could go wrong here ?

7 Replies 7

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

The default tftp security demands that the file exists and that the tftp process has write access to it.

tftp servers like tftpd32 allow to turn this off.

Cheers,

Michel

The problem is more complex, when I use tftp for a software put/get everything works fine.

When I try to fetch the config using tftp, I receive the following message, I checked already all the proposed actions but found notting.

ERROR - CM0151 PRIMARY RUNNING Config fetch failed for hspoper01 Cause: PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Action: Check if protocol is supported by device and required device package is installed. Check device credentials. Increase timeout value, if required.CM0151 VLAN RUNNING Config fetch failed for hspoper01 Cause: VLAN-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Action: Check if protocol is supported by device and required device package is installed. Check device credentials. Increase timeout value, if required.

It could be that the device you are trying to capture the config for is not supported in the version of RME that you have installed.

Check the appropriate supportlist:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/cw2000e/dev_sup/index.htm

bella
Level 1
Level 1

Because tftp protocol doesn't provide any user authentication some mechanisms is usualy implemented to restrict access. One of them doesn't allow to create new directories/files. Do not type 'tftpboot' as a part of a destination filename and try to create vlan.dat on the UNIX 'touch /tftpboot/vlan.dat'.

Yup, /tftpboot is implied when using tftp. After creating the file created with "touch", also need to make it world-writable with "chmod 666 filename.dat".

The copy flash: tftp: works fine, thanks to all,

but my other problem described above still doesn't work. Using tftp to fetch configs gives this problem :

ERROR - CM0151 PRIMARY RUNNING Config fetch failed for hspoper01 Cause: PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Action: Check if protocol is supported by device and required device package is installed. Check device credentials. Increase timeout value, if required.CM0151 VLAN RUNNING Config fetch failed for hspoper01 Cause: VLAN-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Action: Check if protocol is supported by device and required device package is installed. Check device credentials. Increase timeout value, if required.

If I select Telnet, my vlan file is corrupt, because this is a binary file, and moving binary files using Telnet isn't done.

When I try the oposite direction, tftp from server to device, I get a permission denied, that's probably the reason why I get the above messages.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: