Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5506-X missing FirePOWER configuration tab

wan_cubby34
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I have ASA 5506-X with FirePOWER services, when I enter in ASDM I see FirePOWER status tab but don't see FirePOWER configuration button on left side of ASDM. ASA, my laptop and FirePOWER module is in same Vlan and same Subnet, ping is OK. During login to ASDM it shows "Initializing FirePOWER communication" but after login can't find FirePOWER configuration button

ASA# sh ver

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.8(1)
Firepower Extensible Operating System Version 2.2(1.47)
Device Manager Version 7.8(2)151

ASA# sh module sfr details
Getting details from the Service Module, please wait...

Card Type: FirePOWER Services Software Module
Model: ASA5506
Hardware version: N/A
Serial Number: JAD214705GR
Firmware version: N/A
Software version: 6.2.0-362
MAC Address Range: 005d.73f8.3e5d to 005d.73f8.3e5d
App. name: ASA FirePOWER
App. Status: Up
App. Status Desc: Normal Operation
App. version: 6.2.0-362
Data Plane Status: Up
Console session: Ready
DC addr: No DC Configured
Mgmt IP addr: 172.16.16.26
Mgmt Network mask: 255.255.255.240
Mgmt Gateway: 172.16.16.17
Mgmt web ports: 443
Mgmt TLS enabled: true

It seems everything is OK

can you help me?

26 Replies 26

Hi all
On Windows 7 PC ASDM and FirePOWER authentication works fine. I don't know why Java on Windows 10 or Linux machine drops ssl connection between ASDM and FirePOWER module, maybe some advanced user can resolve this issue

It's 99+% likely a Java-related issue specific to ypr local configuration. Unfortunately there are so many combinations and permutations fo that it is very hard to troubleshoot it specifically when not working interactively with you.

I use a PC with Java and Windows 10 to manage multiple ASAs (with and without Firepower service modules, both ASDM-managed and FMC-managed) and it works fine.

(message deleted to be moved to the end of the thread)

carson-wells
Level 1
Level 1

I had a similar issue today.  I could load ASDM and see all the tabs but none of the FirePOWER tabs would load when I clicked on them.  I could access them from another management PC just fine.  I had been using this PC for years to manage multiple ASAs and never had any problems.  I am running Windows 10 latest build and the latest version of Java.  After watching the console logs in Java turns out the chromium browser that loads those tabs was creating the exception.  My solution was to clear out the the temp directory under the users appdata\local\temp.  After that I watched the jxbrowser-chromium folder get created when I launched ASDM and clicked on one of the FirePOWER tabs.  All tabs loading fine and now I can get back to what I was doing...  Hope this information helps someone else.. those nagging temp directories!!  :-)  

Mohammad Rahman
Level 1
Level 1
Please see the output and help me solve the issue.
ciscoasa# show module sfr de
ciscoasa# show module sfr details
Getting details from the Service Module, please wait...

Serial Number: JAD21470S75
Software version: 6.2.3-83
MAC Address Range: b4de.31b9.f89b to b4de.31b9.f89b
App. version: 6.2.3-83
Mgmt IP addr: 192.168.2.2
Mgmt Network mask: 255.255.255.0
Mgmt Gateway: 192.168.2.1

@Slippy_Skin you replied to a question from 2018. The original poster probably figured it out by now or moved on. :)

@Marvin Rhoads

Fair dues, probably, just trying to help where I can..

ndespature
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I am struggling with Firepower tabs that do not show anymore on ASDM. I am running ASDM 7.8 with ASA 9.8(2) and SFR 6.2.0-362

I believe this ASDM version is not compatbile with Firepower but the previous version (7.7.1) which is supposed to work, has a bug (the launcher hangs for ever after System upload completed).

I have gone through the troubleshooting document but it seems that the problem is the incompatibility between ASDM and SFR module.

Did someone already had this issue ? How to solve it ????

Thank you all for your help.

Verify that your module is up and not registered to any DC (Defense Center = old name for what is now FMC or Firepower Management Center). You can see that by "show module sfr detail" from the cli.

You could also try an even newer ASDM. 7.14 is the current release.

Marvin,

I confirm that the SFR module is up and running and that I have no DC configured.

Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxx
Software version: 6.2.0-362
MAC Address Range: xxxxxxxxxx
App. version: 6.2.0-362
Mgmt IP addr: @IP
Mgmt Network mask: 255.255.255.0
Mgmt Gateway: @IP

I though about upgrading the ASDM version, but the compability mattrix shows that with Firewpoer 6.2.0 only ASDM 7.7(1) is valid.

ASDM Comp.PNG

Do you believe that ASDM could be upgraded despite what's said in this doc? I thought that 5506 were very limited now and that it could only be used with ASDM 7.9(2), SFR 6.23 and ASA 9.9 max?

EDIT (06/25/2020) I solved my issue by instaling ASDM version 9.14 as suggested by Marvin Rhoads. Actually the ASDM version indicated in the compatinility documents are MINIMUM versions. It is therefore possible to use ASDM 9.14 with ASA 9.8 and SFR 6.2.0. Which was not clear for me while reading the docs. Thank you Marvin.

Hope that will help around !

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card