cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip address allocator allocations not happening sequentially for /31

jfloresr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While working on allocating addresses for point to point links I noticed that allocations for /31s are not happening sequestially. It seems to me like the ip address allocator is skipping the next /31 after allocating first /31 net. For example, I am getting a 172.16.1.0/31 allocation and the next allocation I requested gets a 172.16.1.4/31 instead of 172.16.1.2/31. The same thing happens with any subsequent requests.

Attached is a screenshot for reference as well as other test cases that seem to work fine.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jvikman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is by design and you are not the first to question it.

However, if jfloresr has a pressing need for this maybe we should reconsider. Could you describe your scenario more, do you have a workaround?

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

jvikman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

What version of the resource-manager are you using?

And I assume you would like it to allocate the next /31 subnet?

Can you check if you have two /32 "nets" available (that would make up one /31)?

I am currently using version 3.1.1 from the 4.4.2.1 package.

When I do a show status I see 2 /32s available that makes up the next /31.

We looked at the code and it seems like this was done per design.

jakerby
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I believe that would be correct in how it is functioning. NSO probably does not understand the need for a network with network and broadcast ip's only, so it issues a /30

Actually the behavior we saw coded on the allocator is that it will issue the /31 but it will put the other 2 addresses available as /32s.

This is very strange and not conformant with rfc 3021.

Joksan Flores

NETWORK CONSULTING ENGINEER

Cisco Systems

Looking into the code of Resource Manager 4.4.3.2

if ((!isIpv6 && subs.length == 4 && request == 31 ) ||
            ( isIpv6 && subs.length == 4 && request == 127)) {
            /*
             * Split the four into two twos instead
             * Add only single addresses to available.
             * add 3rd and 4th to available.
             */
            availables.add(subs[2]);
            availables.add(subs[3]);
            /* Allocate as a 2-address "Subnet". */
            Allocation a = new Allocation(new Subnet(subs[0].getAddress(), request),
                                          owner, username, requestId);
            allocations.add(a);
            reviewAlarms();
            return a;
        }

It looks as by design it decomposes /30 into /31 which is used and 2 /32

jvikman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is by design and you are not the first to question it.

However, if jfloresr has a pressing need for this maybe we should reconsider. Could you describe your scenario more, do you have a workaround?

We are using resource manager for a POC next month to provision the underlay IPs of an entire fabric as well as the loopbacks. In essence, we take a device with just a management interface configured and provision all the configurations requiring minimal input parameters.

Right now we are requesting the /31 from resource manager and allowing it to waste the 2 /32s. Unfortunately the pools for Infrastructure IPs and loopbacks is different so all the /32s are wasted currently.

Joksan Flores

ENGINEER.NETWORK CONSULTING

Cisco Services

jfloresr@cisco.com<mailto:jfloresr@cisco.com>

Tel: +1 919 392 2635

Mobile: +1 919 710 2045

houlee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

We have a customer challenging us exactly the same issue too. They are not happy about the extra two unused IPs. Is this considered as a bug or how we communicate back to the customer about this feature/design?

Thanks.

This is considered a feature, since it is on purpose - though people seem to largely agree that it is not a good feature.

There are tickets on this, but there is no timeline for when this will be adressed. For customers, work through the ticket system to reach resolution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the NSO Developer community: